More symptoms in the electrics

Hello!

------

Standard Beetle -73, 1300, 12V generator. The generator light has for some time had a tendency to glow lightly when brake pedal id depressed and the glow alters with the turn signal light in the speedo when the turn signal is on. I have thought that this is a slight starting corrosion issue in the grounding somewhere.

Now, today when I was trying to find something to eat in the city, in the traffic lights idling and turn signal on, the G-light came on bright and the turn signal light in the speedo was completely dark whether the signal switch was on or off. I don't know if the signals worked outside or not, the new flasher relay I have is too silent. Revving the engine did not help. Depressing the brake pedal did not change anything. When I took off from the lights, the G-light went soon off. Then this happened after 10 seconds again in a left hander and G-light disappeared now in few seconds.

Then again after I had had a cup of coffee and started the Beetle, the G-light stayed on. Revving had no affect. Turn signal light was not working. After 10 or so seconds, everything was again ok. Now after this I don't see the glowing of the G-light anymore.

The generator belt is ok.

What am I looking at? Acting up regulator? Something really loose or corroded? Generator failing to charge intermittently?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

It might be the battery not holding a charge. How old is it? A quick way to check the battery is to, turn the lights on, turn the wipers on, turn the left or right turn signal on, and step on the brakes to make the stop lights come on. If the turn signals stop flashing, then the battery has run down. It has run down because it is not holding a charge. When it is not holding a charge, it is time to replace it. To play it safe, replace the battery at it's half-life or about every 3 years. Do Not jump start it and run it without a battery. That is bad for the alternator.

These links might help: Speedy Jim

-----

Reply to
Jim Ed

To add, my car does not have the an alarm light or buzzer for the

2-circuit brake system that I think the Super models have. Looking at the circuit diagram that is the other way the G-light might get ground normally from.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

It sounds like the battery is under charged. Charge the battery with a battery charger and test drive it again.

If you are considering replacing the generator, you will be better off with an alternator conversion kit.

Jim Ed

time had a tendency

turn signal light

on or off. I

is too silent.

anything. When I

A fuse is likely making poor contact. Spin them round or polish/burnish the holder ends. On your '73, it should be one of the 2 fuses on the far right (seen from driver's seat).

I say that your generator is still charging correctly (put a multimeter across the battery to confirm this) but the light is acting up.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

A 73 really has a generator, not an alternator? Apply finger pressure to the brushes while the engine is running, see if the light goes out. The spring that holds the brushes may be weak or the brushes may be worn out. They should stick out above the bracket they sit in. On an alternator, you can't use this trick, there is no direct access to the brushes.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yep, until VIN 1132414931/1132438833, or thereabouts. For US, other markets varied.

SJ

Reply to
Speedy Jim

yes.. this is an euro spec car :) I could have sworn it would have an alternator. I dunno. my 72 had a gen, and my 74 had an alt :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yes. -73 standard Beetle euro spec. Generator. VIN 113200XXXX.

1300 cc, elephant foot tail lights, twin port heads, doghouse cooling. One odd thing I have learned is that the rubber boots between the intake manifold center piece and the twin port ram horns are smaller in diameter as any of the boots they sell in the parts shops. The after market boots are for 1600cc models which apparently have bigger diameter manifold also. Or this is a -73 one year thing or something.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

Fuse 12 (rightmost) measured around 4 ohms in resistance between the fuse holder clips before any polishing. I went through all the fuses and holder clips with 400 grain sanding paper. Other end of the fuse 11 was somewhat melted (the plastic). I replaced that one. Probably there has been a bad contact which has generated heat enought to melt the plastic.

The glowing of the G-light stopped. Did not encounter any problems anymore with the charging or turn signals.

Thanks for suggestions.

Reply to
Olli Lammi