Near stock 1600 vs. new 1776?

I own a 1968 VW type III Squareback. Currently I am running the original

1600cc motor with the swing axle transmition. I would like to upgrade to a 1776cc motor and an IRS setup. I am curious as to what the horsepower and tourque gains will be. On the stock 1600 I am running duel 34mm Weber carbs, Bosch 009 distrubutor and an upgraded coil. All internals are stock. The motor seems quite underpowered and I would like to know if it would be better to go with the 1776 or even bigger to say an 1835? I also worry about heat, since the motor is sandwiched under the rear deck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

68Square.

Reply to
68Square

well, a general rule of thumb is bigger is better. As for heat, use an oil cooler. Horsepower gains will be dependent on internal components, but you could figure (from what I have read) a 1776 could generate from 80 to a little over 100 hp. an 1835 wouldn't be much more than that. 2 litres can get up into the mid 100s (say from 130 to 160). Your figures may differ. Maybe some one else can pipe in with an estimate of what your current setup generates. - DB

Reply to
DB