New Mexi-longblock won't idle

My friends...can't get her to idle. I don't believe there are any vacuum leaks.....any way to check the carb. Could it be electrical? Any odd stuff I could check? Eric 68 Bug vert, a 62 KG vert too...

Reply to
Eric

You need to have the following under control:

Valve lash. Ignition timing. Points gap if applicable. HT leads connected in the right sequence. Basic adjustment of the carb must be "in the ballpark". If this is a D.P. engine, check the rubber seals on the intake manifold.

When you have verified this we could try to help you further on the diagnosing of your problem.

P.J.Berg.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Reply to
Eric

Make sure you hooked the idle solenoid and choke element up to the ignition coil. It sounds like the solenoid is not pulling open and that will keep it from idling. If you have any doubt about the functionality of the solenoid, turn the ignition switch on but do not try to start the engine. Removing the wire from the solenoid and touching it to the terminal should give you an audible click each time contact is made.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Reply to
Eric

"Chris ..thanks..idle solenoid is functional as is the choke element.....keep going if you can."

Is this a new carburetor by any chance? Pierburg shipped some carburetors recently with such a sloppy fit around the throttle shaft that they would not idle. If that is not the case, then I would get it running and hold the throttle open enough to keep it going and then give it the carb-cleaner test around the intake manifold end castings, the boots, and the ends of the carburetor shaft. If you see a noticeable change in performance then you have an air leak.

Still no luck? I'd back both the mixture screw and the bypass screw out about 2 turns and see if it will keep running that way. When it dies are you seeing any black smoke to indicate it might be loading up? How is your ignition timing? Does it act like it is misfiring when it does run?

Chris

Reply to
Hal