No more massive oil leak

So at the last Bug out in Manasses Va. I bought one of those new oil filler neck things for my new alternator stand because the old oil filler neck was connected for all eternity to the old gen stand. Well the new neck has a union about half way down the "shaft" (huh huh... shaft, now Jan or mike doesn't have to say it). I figure, I don't have a breather box on my stock engine so I'll just put a rubber cap on it so nothing will leak out of it, when I build a bigger engine, then I'll use it. Fast forward to a few days ago, I'm on the beltway in D.C. doing about 250 MPH just to keep up with traffic (if you've ever been on the beltway, you know what I'm talking about) when all of a sudden I get a car full of burning oil smoke coming through the heater holes. I look in my rearview mirror and see that the bat-smoke-screen has been activated. I immediately deploy my thrust reversers to slow to a more manageable speed and pull to the shoulder. With the engine still running I see I have just a few drops of oil dripping from the rear of the motor. Check the oil and it's nearly full. Huh? Well I limp it home with just a few more episodes of smoke out. Then it comes to me, the old oil filler neck has that tube that goes down along the neck and that outlet that goes to the carb. The new neck has neither, thanks to the rubber stopper I installed and thus, nowhere for the pressure in the case to go but out the crank pulley shaft along with a whole bunch of oil right on the exhaust pipes. Anyway I removed the stopper and all is well again. I guess we all have our moments. Sorry for the length, I just had to get this off my chest. (huh huh... chest)

Reply to
EuroBug

The bat-smoke-screen! Was passing a bunch of cars that had ganged up on my poor Bussy as a lane was about to end - I just downshifted to 3rd and stomped on it. At 85mph, I had cleared the group of cars and was checking my left side mirror to move back over in front of them when all I saw was smoke! Boy, when they lay a smoke screen, they sure do a good job! I had sucked a valve cover gasket and spewed oil from there!

those new oil filler

oil filler neck was

new neck has a

now Jan or mike

breather box on my stock

leak out of it,

forward to a few days

to keep up with

I'm talking

oil smoke coming

and see that the

my thrust

the shoulder. With

oil dripping from

Huh? Well I limp

it comes to me,

the neck and that

thanks to the

pressure in the case to

of oil right on

is well again. I

just had to get this

Reply to
Busahaulic

Oh ya, that hot oil all over that smokin exhaust....what a treat. As an added bonus, if you got a lot coming out and you're goin real fast, the windshields behind you get a nice dose. Sucks if you're the guy getting sprayed though, kinda dangerous. That's why I pulled over so fast, don't want to be the cause of a 75 car pile-up. They're fun to watch but they sure suck to be in.

Reply to
EuroBug

the engine I just (re)built has the same stype gen stand... if I left the breather hose off, some oil would sling out of that opening and splash the right side tin. If you can, connect a hose there and attach it to one of the aircleaners...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Sweet!

Reply to