Not alot of springy in my carb

I rebuilt my carb over the weekend. It's a Solex 30-PICT 3. It's running ... okay. But still a little chuggy - and when I am running high in gear (just before I would switch) it gurgles a little bit like it's hungry.

One thing I noticed is that it's not quite as springy as before. That is, when I grab the fast idle and pull back on it, there is a rather limp reaction - where I seem to remember the while thing shooting down before.

Perhaps though, I am silly for thinking my spring action is not so good when it's a nice warm spring day here. I guess most (if not all) of the spring action would come from the automatic choke on the other side. The automatic choke is set "on the mark". Meaning, when I reassembled, I lined it up in it's correct position (I live in Ohio, where it goes from warm to cold in a matter of seconds - so I will let it do it's job).

Perhaps I am just paranoid, but it just don't seem right. I may just need to run through the two-screw adjustment again to get things going right.

One more thing - upon reassembly I couldn't remember where a particular washer went. It goes somewhere in the assembly with the geared teeth on it which catch the fast idle. Not sure what you call this piece. In this blowup, it's #1 and #2 ...

that in that picture, there is no washer. So if anyone can tellme where it slips in, or if it should be there at all - let meknow. :-) Right now I have it placed in front of #3. Thanks!,

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

When you reassemble'd the autochoke heater element did you get the hook on the bimetall spring around the pin for the choke butterfly? Is there any spring action there at all?

I cant remember any such washer in that location, but it might be in the #

33 area, the adjustment for the accelerator pump.

I just had a look in one of my manuals. The 30 PICT-2 has such a washer in the #23 area, right under the nut. On the 34 PICT-3 drawing it does not show such a washer at all. But it should NOT be in front of # 3, it might cause a bind.

Have to walk the dog now, I'll have a look in some more when I get back.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I could not find a pi. with the said washer in it, sorry.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I did! I actually eye-balled it when putting it back together. I put the squared off "hook" just in front of the pin, and then turned it counter clockwise a nudge once it was in the socket. There is a

*little* spring, but very little.

Aha! I may try moving it around, or removing it all together. Wouldn't have to remove much more than the oil bather to perform the procedure.

I ran through the typical adjustment procedure yesterday. Put my volume idle screw out 2 1/2 turns. Then twisted the air intake screw out really far until it idled heavy. I have found that it's idling pretty strong. Runs great! I would like for it to idle a little lower. But it seems that when I twist the air screw in (even half a turn) than I can't get it started in the morning or later evening (when it's cooler).

Perhaps I just need to be okay with an idle that's faster than before. It was being starved of fuel before I rebuilt it. Now it purrs (not so much like a kitten - more like an angry cougar). :-) Also, from what I have read, it's better to have a quicker idle than a slower one (for general engine wear and tear).

Thanks for checking your drawings for that washer. That may go down as a mystery.

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

What I like to do when taking something with a lot of small parts apart is to take some pics first and during disassembly. I also use some numbered egg cartons to store screws, nuts, etc. as I go.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I think I have solved the washer mystery. While I can't find a take- apart or blow-up diagram which shows a thin washer, I did find a reference. I have a full engine in my basement (bought to move a car, and not much else). It has a Solex 30-PICT 2 on it, complete. It has the same washer installed. When reassembling, it would be the first thing onto the fast idle assembly. It just gives the fast idle a little looser play.

Amen. I normally take a couple digital camera shots before I start something like this. I did the drum brakes on my wifes Honda that same weekend, and those pictures came in handy. Guess I made the mistake of thinking "I done this before, how could I screw it up?".

Also, to follow up ... moving the washer around might have given me a tad more movement, but I readjusted the automatic choke about 5 degrees counter clockwise (past the center marking) to provide a little more "boing". This made starting very easy. But now it's thrown my "warmed-up running" a little off. I think this is a good setting for me, it will just take a little more mild adjusting with the air idle screw.

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne