Oh Oh, I smell enron fumes

Yep. Lines for gas that stretched blocks. People running out of gas while in line, pushing their vehicles. Gas stations closed on weekends. Self-moderated gas rationing by the station owners, things like "5 gallon maximum" signs. At the same time there was also an artificial paper shortage that pushed newspapers to ruin, and _sugar_ shortages that started a whole new crime wave in the poor neighborhoods. Bread prices went up 400%, too.

As an aside, 1973 was also a year in which the earlier Jaguar XK-Es became so cheap due to accumulated mechanical failures and head-spinning high parts prices we were buying them for $1,200 each and dropping in Chevy sixes, small Ford V-8s and american trannies.

ACVWs were being eclipsed by the Pinto which sold for $100 less. Dodge's Colts were being rear-ended in on-ramps because they couldn't get out of their own way. Vegas front fenders were falling off after four months. Gremlins were fishtailing to the junkyards in 12 months. It was a _very_, very bad time for the American auto scene. Almost everything was _crap_.

Aren't most of you pretty glad you weren't there? :)

Reply to
jjs

I'm drove nothing but airc VW's since 1977, until 1995, when after getting a 'real' job allowed my to get a big ole gas guzzling Suburban, because it was well suited to my new whitewater kayaking passion, and my paycheck.

Lost the real job, looking for another one now. Bought a used 1994 Caravan to try and still accomodate my WW kayaking addiction. *When* I get another job, I wanna buy a hybrid vehicle, like a Prius, for in-city driving. (I'd love a hybrid minivan for kayaking, but don't think that would be very practical, if ever offered anyway!)

Even though I'm still a die-hard airc VW fan, I have to admit that 1930's engine technology is not exactly a good thing anymore, yano? It just isn't! Sad but true. :-(

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

The Vega aluminum engines were also frying faster than hotcakes on a griddle. The Pintos were blowing up, so all they had to do was haul the burnt out shell to the junkyard. Here is an interesting story about the Pinto gas tank.

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show Pictures

Bill Berckman

That certainly explains a lot of my problems, considering I'm a 1977 model human.

I want a refund.

Reply to
Seth Graham

LOL I guess they got to spend that 6% real estate commission on somthing. I don't deny that they work hard hauling people around, but 6% is an awful lot of money spend just to sell something.

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show Pictures

Bill Berckman

I knew a guy who had the sense of humor to have his Pinto's flame paint job done that the flames were on the back - pointing UP!

Reply to
jjs

John, I have a custom '91 GMC Suburban 4WD in storage. Under 120k miles. Great shape. If you are truly serious about wanting one, maybe we can talk.

Reply to
jjs

oops. I also have a '72 Bug in pristine condition in storage, but I want too much for it.

Reply to
jjs

I was there and what was different is people were told gas was running out. Not so today. That is why no panic when the price goes up.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Reply to
Ilambert

Certainly not. Just to think of all the '61 verts, '54 Sambas and '66 Ghias that I could've picked up for a song and a dance, instead of meddling around with some fried-out '74 Kombi as I am today ...

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Our slogan: "We are here to serve mankind". Yum!

Reply to
jjs

Hi Volks!

The difference being that in, say, 1975, a '66 Ghia was just an out-of-date used car. Compare prices of '95 Corrados today. I'm rather sure that that '54 Samba wasn't worth much in '75 either. Or is an early Vanagon Deluxe Bus a sought-after classic today? And that '61 convertible would match a '90 today -- last time I checked, they were really rather cheap.

Middle-aged cars aren't really expensive now, and they weren't then. My first '70 Bug cost 500 Deutschmarks in '88, and my current '87 Golf 16V cost 200 Deutschmarks in '00. Trouble is that these value-for-money middle-aged cars are getting more boring by the year. Hence the nostalgia -- I'd love to have lived back when real classics were in that price bracket.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Considering the income of the time, those things have always represented about the same percentage of what we cannot afford. In 1976 I passed up a pristine split-window Corvette for $4,500 because it was Way Too Expensive! In '64 I could have bought a pristine 59 T-Bird if I wanted to blow a years salary of $6,000. In 1979 I bought a new Harley Super Glide for $3,000. See how it goes?

Reply to
jjs

Man, those were evil-handling bikes. Maybe not quite as bad as the

71 Motoguzzi I had back in the day. 750 Ambassador, 600+ lbs dry. What a pig. I want my R60/6 back.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I never saw a split-window bug until the nineties. I kid you not. They have always been pretty rare in the midwest (Chicago, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, for example.) I think it's got something to do with the location and time.

Look at this picture. . That was shot in 1960, maybe '70. Look at the condition of that Bug. Oy! What year is it? '58? Dunno. (Tim's going to make some Hippie remark. She's older than he is!)

Perhaps you can help me with specifics. Really, I'm not putting you on. I'm ignorant! What is the price of a midrange car today? What is the average salary?

Reply to
jjs

The Honda Dreams had leading link front suspension under that sheet metal. It was a pogo! The old Guzzi! Lemmie tell ya - I had an Italian translate part of the factory manual for an old Guzzi. It was the carb tuning part. It said at the end "Do not spend undue time retuning the carburator after this. It will fall out of tune rather quickly. It is the nature of the machine." LOL!

Reply to
jjs

Being an old hippie myself, I can safely say that the picture was not taken in 1960. Mid to late 60's would be closer.

What is average ? That something like normal ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Sorry. Typo. Should have been "69, maybe '70." But WTF would I know? I only took the picture! I'm supposed to friggin REMEMBER these things from the Sixties?

I got to look up that word. Normal.

Reply to
jjs

.........heh heh

..................If it was '60, you and her could now take turns using the same walker at the mall.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers