Oil Pressure

Hi All

I have a 1300 twin port motor with very tired third big end and rear bearings. It needs to go on a trip soon, and I was just wondering what do you guys think is a safe minimum oil pressure, I know the VW reckons about

25psi, but this is for a new engine! This engine sits around 10-18psi when hot at rpms ranging from 2400-3400. Do you guys think that should be sufficient?

It's in the middle of summer and I reset the timing P.O had it set at around

5 degrees btdc, I've set it to 7.5 (default for this dizzy and engine, single vacuum hose) but now it's running much hotter, it's also got it's thermostat intact, how do I check if it is set correctly and is working? (with out removing it)?

Thanks in advance Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

...................I'd say that a tight stock engine should run 30+ psi of oil pressure at sustained highway speeds and that it is getting worn and in need of 'freshening' at the recommended point of 28 psi at 2500 rpms when hot that's mentioned in the Bentley manual for 1600's. Are 1300's different? I'm not sure but I doubt it. If you're running 10 lbs. at 2400 rpms, I'd be hesitant to rely upon it for doing OK on any out of town road trips. If it were me, I'd leave it at home and limit how much it gets used until a rebuild or engine swap.

................On a bug, you can start it up cold and then lay on the ground and visually watch the thermostat start expanding (it doesn't take more than a few min.). It's sitting underneath the #1 & #2 cylinders. There's a procedure for adjusting the flaps linkage but I haven't had enough coffee yet to be able to articulate how it's done but if you have a Bentley manual, it's in there.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Rule of thumb for VW air-cooled engines.

10 PSI for every 1000 RPMs.

More is better, less is suspect.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Thanks guys for the quick response!

This engine should be rebuilt in the new year, so this will be the last trip! If a had another reliable car believe me I would take it but this is the only "reliable" I trust it more than any of the water-cooled I've seen, or have available for this trip! Wish me luck!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

You could switch to a slightly thicker oil. Winter is a bad time to do this however because when the oil is cold it's much thicker. If you're running straight 30, you could try straight 40. Another option is a "viscosity stabilizer" like Hilton Hy-Per-Lube. It has worked wonders for me on many worn engines over the years. I ran straight Valvoline Racing

60 in my T4 engine in the summer. I switched to 20-50 for winter. That's a T4 motor though and I knew my oil cooler was in excellent condition.

-- Dave "Busahaulic" Pearson Fall City, Washington Remove obvious from addy to e-mail

end and rear

wondering what do

VW reckons about

around 10-18psi when

should be

had it set at around

and engine,

also got it's

and is working?

Reply to
Busahaulic

Assuming your idiot light is working (comes on when you turn the key ON and then goes off when the engine starts) then you're probably fine as long as the light doesn't flash at you. It's okay if the light flickers occasionally when idling, or when cornering.

How do you know that it's running hotter?

-

Jim Adney

It sounds like Kevin is in the southern hemisphere (he said it was summer. I don't recall what the "za" in his address signifies) so you're heavier oil idea might be appropriate.

- - - Al Gilson Spokane, Washington USA

1970 VW Convertible alcessnapilot comcast net

Reply to
Al Gilson

Sorry Guys

I forgot to mention I am from the Southern Hemisphere, I live in South Africa and it's stinking hot here at the moment! About 30-36 Degrees C, with high humidity! My Oil light doesn't work, because I have an oil pressure gauge wired up, and yes oil pressure comes up in about 2-4 seconds, when the light was attached it went off in about the same time, but did come on, flashing or full on, when the engine idled after a trip, but it went off straight away when the engine was revved!

I'm currently running Shell Helix 20w50 oil and Barbell B2 viscosity enhancer! Lets see if it helps!!!

Regards Kev>

Reply to
Kevin

Ummmmm I believe Kevin is down under, and for him, it's summer right now. The equivalent season to us is june 11, ten days before the summer solstice.

Kevin, enjoy yer holiday mate.

Reply to
Michael Kelly