Oil pressure relief valves

After rebuilding the engine and getting the old Baja back on the road, the oil pressure doesn't seem to be what it should. It's running about

20 pounds at 55mph and no more than 30 when wound up in the lower gears (at full operating temp. I used the original relief valves and springs so I'm guessing they the stock springs are what they used to be.

The bottom end spent 8 or 9 years in my closet before I installed the top end and installed it in the Bug and I don't remember the difference between the front and rear relief valves.

Anyway I bought an Empi relief valve kit today and it came with one each short and long spring and short and long valve. I guess I could just take it apart and figure it out but I'd like to know before I dig into it. Any suggestions as to which goes where?

I'll post some pix on my website pretty soon for all to gawk at and make fun of.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

If you got the ones to increase the pressure and are using a gage smaller then a HD 100lb's watch out. I put them in mine and blew up an 80lb. gage. I have to let the engine run at idle for a bit before I can go anywhere with my HD 100lb. gage. If you rev it it will push up to around 120lb's guessing. After it warm's up a bit and driving the pressure stays at about 50 to

60lb's and at idle around 30lb's.
Reply to
Packrat46

Thanx, I do have a 100 PSI gage. The old engine with the Melling super pump would run around 35 PSI at an idle and be around 90 when cold. I went with a stock pump with the full flow oil filter set up.

I'm going to put the new relief valves and springs in either tonight or in the morning. I don't want to drive it any more with the risk of low oil pressure on my new and expensive engine.