Spinning starter problem

I've just installed a new starter and it only engages with the flywheel about 50% of the time, the rest of the time it just spins. I guess the solenoid is not doing its job - I seems its is just sticking sometimes. Is this something that may sort its self out so I should give it a bit of time or do I take it off and send it back to the supplier? Is this a common problem.

any suggestions?

Reply to
will

Not common. You'll probably wind up sending it back.

Before you take it off, test by jumpering right at the starter:

in Neutral, blah, blah.) It doesn't sound like a worn pinion bushing from the way you described it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

could the flywheel be missing teeth?

Reply to