ok, speedy jim--- my turn to ask

73 bus with 1800. alternator with voltage regulator mounted in the engine bay. as far as i can tell, it is the factory wiring harness to the reg.

one wire, which comes off of d+ goes to the reg. and up to the gen warning light. the gen light stays on with no key in yet goes off when the key is turned to the first click. all of this worked before. we pulled engine tranny and did all sorts of repairs in the process-- so mebbe we screwed somthing up.

the wire from d+ has 12 volts with the engine off -- crap, didn't check to see if it does with the engine running ! is there supposed to be 12 volts when engine off ?? it doesn't seem like there should be since the gen light is thus lit. muir says-- fried reg. but we have two and tested it with the other one and same thing.

canya shed some light mebbe ???

tia bob

Reply to
Bob Mrazik

Pull the wire to the light off of D+. Then see if there is voltage on D+. If so, there is a bad diode in the Alt.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

there is voltage. :( can the diodes be replaced easily ??

Reply to
Bob Mrazik

Ya got me there.

GOOGLE around a bit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Replacing individual diodes is a pain, and requires a massive soldering iron or something. They are hard soldered onto a "diode bridge", a round plastic&metal holder and you usually replace the whole bridge. It holds 6 diodes in total.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Uhhh, but on an alternator the D+ terminal runs directly to the battery, so it is always hot....

-

Jim Adney

Ummmm, you're thinking of "B+"

Speedy Jim