Okay, give me heck, but I forgot...

Okay. The '58 is coming out of storage after (how long?) So, which way does the gas tank switch turn for main and for reserve? It's in the middle (off) now.

I hope Joey answers first.

-- cringing, waiting for the stinging blow - john

Reply to
2

woohooo....i get requested...can't let ya down now john!!!

Z for "zu" or "closed" A for "auf" or "open" R for "reserve" the 3 positions of the fuel lever, at 12 o'clock, 1:30 and 3:00 respectively. Unless you have a pre '53 split, then its 9:00, 12:00, 3:00).

now in all honesty that is not from my head, which has limited knowledge on older vehicles....but thankfully Micah had the same problem with the car...

Joey Tribiani

2

You be de Man, Joey! Good for you to Be There!

Mine ain't marked. No plate.

Aw man, Joey! Mine has 12 o'clock to 12:30, and that's all it has. Really!

1/2 turn.

Yah! And ya know this is Micah's ride! What say we drag him out and feed him full of beer and 'fess up to this mystery!

If he doesn't show up, it's just us. :)

Seriously, Chris. The thing only goes from 12'oclock to 12'30. I'm gonna just guess that 12' is the tank, 12:15 is off, and 12'30 is reserve. That's the way my '56 Harley worked.

Anywho, I'll ride it out of storage as soon as I get a new battery tommorw. If I totally f*ck up with my guess, I'll buy the next round.

Good to know you are there, Man.

John

Reply to
2

sorry i can't help more...i figured since that thread was for Micah and about that very car, it may help....anyway, good to see you getting the bug out....have fun with it....did you ever fix the GT2? i liked that car.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The GTII is fine, now. The engine ain't. It had a regular backfire at under

2K RPM from day-one. Still does. When/If I ever find some time I'll do a compression test.
Reply to
2

asuming US specs are the same as Euro. Mine ('59 stock) only goes from 12 to 12'15;

12' is open 12'15 is reserve 12'07 (ish) is closed.

Hth Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Mine turns closer to 12:20, but we are close enough. Thanks for that. I'm sure they are the same.

Say, didn't John Henry make some replicas of the plate that goes over the lever? Can't find a reference right now.

Reply to
2

did you ever discuss this with Jake?....Maybe do a leakdown test...could be possible bad valve seating area or actual bad seat....probably on the exhaust side(kind of a "duh "statement, i know...)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

click on "new parts"....scroll down to about the fifth or sixth item...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes. The problem is that I did not notice it right away because I was running dual quiet-packs, have a well sound-insulated cabin, and I'm so damned deaf. But I confirmed that it was backfiring before I did the first valve adjustments.

When time permits I will do the pressure test, and if it's okay, I will install the Mallory dizzy and yet another new set of plug wires. No way can afford to ship him the engine for more work. Not now. :(

Reply to
2

hope all is going well John.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

If the lever only travels from 12:00 to 12:15, that's only 7.5=B0... for a valve to have that tight of an arc and still have on/off/reserve capabilities feeding a standard diameter fuel line, the vavle would have to be at least 18" in diameter.

12:00 to 12:30 covers 15=B0 12:00 to 3:00 covers a full 90=B0 arc

| off at 12:00 / 0=B0 (pointing straight back parallel to shifter tunnel) / on at 1:30 / 45=B0 (pointing roughly at trailing edge of right side door)

- reserve at 3:00 / 90=B0 (pointing toward right side bulkhead)

Reply to
VWFilms

Argh. Me thinks you have been clocking film editing reels too long.

Look at it as a compass.

0 = Main 90 = Off 180 = Reserve

And do not assume the lever is regular. It might have an offset. Further, one only has to touch Reserve to open it; the valve does not have to fully open.

Reply to
2

Joey, thanks for the good wishes. Molly became ill and it wiped out her health insurance with just the tests, then left us with a tremendous bill for half-assed, do-nothing treatment. Fricking health system just sucks.

Reply to
2

sorry to hear that John....You and Molly will be in my family's prayers....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:25:42 -0500, "2" scribbled this interesting note:

I know it is a little late, seeing as how you already got it back on the road and discovered, again, why you shouldn't put a fuel filter in the engine bay, but...

On our '59 (the same as your '58) all the way counter clock-wise is main, all the way clock-wise is reserve.

Hope this helps.

And put that filter where it belongs!

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

John....good to see *you* back too...hope all is well, and what was keeping you away from RAMVA was also positive...business good?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 28 May 2006 22:11:05 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" scribbled this interesting note:

I check in every now and again. Been busy with various projects. Of all sorts.

From house renovations to local politics, life is interesting...

(and all that implies!:~)

Oh, and I've got to go through the lights on the '59 again. I'm sure it is just bad grounds, but it could be a malfunctioning headlight switch (I already have another...I think), but it has got to be looked at before the car can be driven at night. Not a difficult fix, I'm sure, but like everything else, it takes time. Took the day off today (the first in a long while) and spent some Quality Time with my family on a fun outing. Tomorrow it is back to more painting.