Old aircooled engine question

WJ,

I personally think a 36hp engine is a valuable engine if it is either rebuilt or rebuildable. However, most people would NOT pay a lot of money for it. A fresh rebuild would not go for more than your typical rebuild (depending on quality of parts using for the rebuild), typically on the low end of the price spectrum. I have seen fresh 36 hp rebuilds go for under $500. A complete longblock to rebuild might only go for $100 or less. - DB

Reply to
DB

A while back a guy gave me an old vw engine, saying that it did run. This engine was not like any I've ever seen. The oil filler/generator mount is one-piece with the block. A check of the serial number (1631786) and a search on the 'net leads me to believe that this engine was from a 1956 car. If so, does this engine have any value? Are they rare? A dime a dozen? I have no idea.

Thanks, Walt

Reply to
WJ

I agree. Seems like people are literally giviing them away, but you can bet that in ten years all these dudes with 1600s and 1776s in their ovals now are going to start searching for rebuildable 36hp 'cause those ovals are going to eventually go up in value to the point that it makes no sense to customize them. Like how many people are running 1600s in splits these days? So, I'd say take it and hold onto it for investment reasons if for no reason. Dummy me, I had a chance just two years ago to grab ahold of a complete 36hp and passed thinking I don't have a oval, and don't plan on buying one in the near future, but now I wish I would have.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

.................You might have something there Dan. When those split window & oval window bugs get really valuable someday, the 'correct' engines are gonna be even scarcer than the bugs themselves. Because of the integral generator stand with the case, there'll be no way to fake it with a BeetleMex long block.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 19:59:45 -0500, "Tim Rogers" scribbled this interesting note:

Well, I guess that puts me in a nice position with two 1959 Beetles in the drive way and two or three extra 36hp engines also in the inventory!:~)

BTW, it ain't easy to scrounge up the parts needed for a good, complete rebuild. I have found a NOS flywheel and I now have two sets of never been used pistons and cylinders, as well as new bronze valve guides, but the collection of parts has slowed lately. I'd like to get a few more new items as well, new valves, new cam, new bearings (but I won't know what is needed for those until the case is apart and the crank is actually measured.) A good align bore might also be in order...

These little beasts take just as much work as a 1600 to properly rebuild (more because you have to search for parts.) When you are done they force you to take a more leisurely approach to life while driving a car equipped with a 36hp engine.

But they sure are fun.

John Willis

Thanks for the input everyone. So...they aren't expensive, but they are somewhat rare. That figures . I was looking for any old running mill to temporarily stick on a trike project to work a few bugs out of the chassis. I don't really think this is the engine to (ab)use for that. Maybe I'll look up a local bug club (Portland Oregon area) and see if anyone has a regular old 1300 laying around and wants to trade.

Cheers, Walt

Reply to
WJ

If your in the US, the 1300 is even rarer since it was a only available in the '66 model Beetles!

Reply to
Howard Rose

Even early big windows are getting tough to find and I'd certainly pay more for one with a 36 hp in it. Most have had their 36hp scrapped at some point. John hand onto those 59's. I know I should slowly start stockpiling 36 hp parts. - DB

Reply to
DB

Well, any old single port engine then . Sorry my ignorance is showing. I've owned and worked on VWs in the 69-71 vintage, but never had a swing-axle rig before. That's what this trike is, although the transaxle housing has been modified to accept a 12V flywheel, so I suppose just about anything would work.

Reply to
WJ

You are right, few cars still have their 40 hp. Amazing that the real source actually still sells reconditioned 40's. equally amazed that no one (as in large) sells reconditioned 36's (there will be a market some day). Irrespective, hang on to that 40, maybe put on a set of 1380 heads for some added pop. - DB

Reply to
DB

Reply to
Braukuche