FWIW - old engine pics

I forgot to take some shots of the old engine that went under salt water during the hurricane... Its completely siezed up. There are alot of large grey chunks inside the case the rods and crank are rusted, cylinders rusted on the inside. The bottom of the case around the oil strainer are eaten away and the edges are all jagged and sharp... Its sad... that was a good little 1600. in one of the pics I noticed I have some new rust bubbles on the doors, but they are the wrong year and they had a load of bondo in the bottom of them. So maybe I'll replace em - one day...

lol I sat it out on the curb and the trash man didnt pick it up.

But its raining and cold so the new engine/transaxle and wiring harness still waiting for a nice weekend...

Reply to
dragenwagen

Where are you? I've seen your posts for years, but never realized you lived on the gulf coast. I'm in Gulfport and just recently got my first aircooled, a cal-look '74 standard. Working on taking the engine out of my roommate's '76 van (2.0L type IV) to see about putting it into the Beetle. Anyway, small world.

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Hey Dragon I have a few 66 beetle parts cars let me know if there is something you need, I hate to hear how you lost your 69 bug so I'm willing to donate to your 66.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

You'd think someone would take it for the scrap metal value at least.

200 lbs of free metal vs climbing a pole and trying to steal live copper wiring, hmmm...not a hard choice.
Reply to
Michael Cecil

Actually its funny... we sat so much out after the storm.... my craftsman compressor only lasted an hour and 45 minutes before some one scooped it up. Maybe they thought they were getting a good deal.... hmmmm motor was seized up and the tank seams had rust in them.... oh yeah I drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of it...lol I did that so no one would get hurt IF they did get it running and the tank failed... then the serial number would be linked to me...

HEY!!! I know what... maybe I could set half of the magnesium case on fire!!!! No one would pull a stupid stunt like that would they Jan??

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

1966 Type I
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw> You'd think someone would take it for the scrap metal value at least.>
Reply to
dragenwagen

Yup .... just a few miles down the road from ya!

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

Reply to
dragenwagen

heh heh heh.... if you haven't tried already, please do.. at night.... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I had a cracked case which we lit on NY eve, no need for any other light :) As for the stealing of copper wire, they do it all the time over here.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets