OT - but in a jam

*sigh* My fellow cash-poor employee's 91 Honda Civic broke this morning. Let me give the symptoms and maybe you can tell me if we should set it on fire and forget it. Half kidding.

In gear, clutch out, nothing happens in any gear. Can hear a slight sound, not grinding. Not in gear, clutch out, no sound. Trying to put in gear with clutch out - normal grinding.

Okay, what spendy big part did she break? BACK On Topic - I am half thinking of lending her my Bug.

Thanks RAMVA.

Reply to
jjs

-Wheel hub got stripped

-CV joint blew up

?

Leave engine running at idle, in 1st gear (handbrake on), then go take a peek under the car. Look at the drive axles, does either of them spin?

Jan

Reply to
Jan

pinion gear self destructed? what were they it doing when it began acting up?

check tranny fluid for shrapnel...

knt

jjs wrote:

Reply to
knt

Ah, yes. That seems _very_ likely since she was making a sharp turn to park when it happened! The car has already been towed away so I can't check now, but I will later. The roving tow trucks around here are like buzzards.

I owe you, Jan!

Reply to
jjs