Horizon shift problem

Hello,

My '88 Ply Horizon 2.2 L 5-speed (160 K mileage) has been a very dependable car since it was new. About a month ago, the clutch suddenly became hard to depress and dragged when shifting gears. I took it to the mechanic who's worked on it over the years, and he replaced the clutch and flywheel. I think he said the flywheel had caused the problem. The original clutch was replaced two years ago. I've missed maybe three shifts in 18 years, if that matters, and keep the car in good mechanical shape. While it was in for the clutch, it had a LOF, new plugs and battery cables, but I honestly forgot to tell him that lately there had been a slight rubbing sound when turning the wheel sharply to the left. Anyway, when I got it back it was rubbing much worse and without having to turn the wheel as far left. Also, I began having trouble getting it into second gear, from first, and when out on the highway, I couldn't get it into 5th gear most of the time. So I made it over to my mechanic and he took it out for a test. He came back and put it up on the lift for about ten minutes, and then said it was okay.. that he'd adjusted it. He said the rubbing was a CV boot or something, and it was alright to drive.. if it worsened, he said to bring it in and he'd get a kit ("cheap") and fix it. Later that day, when shifting from 1st down to 2nd, the shifter felt like it was in a bowl of pudding, going around in circles, and wouldn't go into

2nd half the time, leaving me stuck in first in traffic, floundering to get it into another gear. I made it back to my mechanic and left the car ( it was closed by then) with a note describing what had happened and asking him to do what it needed to fix it right. After not hearing from him for almost a week, I called and he said the car was "driveable" -- in case I needed it and wanted to pick it up and bring it back (?!), he said.. that he'd done a few things to it and was waiting for some parts to arrive and that it would be done last Friday (three days later). I paid over $800. for the repairs so far, and I think that the shifter problem is a result of whatever happened during the clutch job (?). Anyway, I'm going to call him tomorrow and hopefully get the car back, fixed properly, and at not too much additional cost. My concern is that, although this mechanic is a nice guy, very helpful even before this car, and pretty straightforward, I have the feeling that I'm in for trouble this time. I think possibly he figures he's patched it up sufficiently that it won't be a problem and hopes I'll be satisfied -- and won't bring it back, and he won't have to charge me any more for the same problem.. maybe one he caused. Does anyone have any insight or comment on what's going on with this? I know next to nothing about mechanics, but I did change the oil and filter myself every 3,000 miles or so, I drive it as if it's a priceless classic, and the engine in this car still runs like it did the day I paid $6,018. and drove it out of the showroom. It's the perfect car for the city, two children grew up in it, it looks like hell, I'm attached to it and I'd love to see it make it to 200 K miles and maybe more. It'll take a lot for me to give up on it.

thanks..

Reply to
Wissonoming401

I think you have multiple unrelated problems. The shifting problem you describe could be worn shift linkage parts. It should not be very expensive to get the new parts and replace them. These have to come apart when you pull the transmission, as you would when you change the clutch. It would be difficult to say if the parts broke when your mechanic took things apart because he was negligent or if they just broke because of the age of the car.

A CV joint boot does not make noise. What he may have said was that the CV joint boot was damaged and the CV joint was making noise. If the joint is making noise, it might be too late to salvage the joint with a boot replacement. You may need a new CV joint. In which case it is simpler to just replace the entire axle with a rebuilt unit. Shouldn't be ridiculously expensive.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez