OT: Reset Speedo

This isn't actually about a VW but I think that the concept would be the same. My Citroen 2CV I recently got has a KPH speedo that I want to replace with a MPH one. I have obtained a MPH speedo and it is showing 69,000 miles right now. Like a VW one it rolls over at 100,000 miles. If I am going to do this I would rather reset it to 0 so that I can track how many miles I have driven. What would be the best way to go about doing this? The speedo is a cable driven style just like a Beetle.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Nor-Cal VW's

The easy way is to connect the cable to an electric drill (reversible). Takes a while but no disassembly req'd.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Hey Ben

Someone told me that citroen 2CV had aircooled engines too, is that so? what kind of engine do you have?

Ant

Ben Boyle wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

It's an aircooled 2 cylinder engine. THey came in displacements of 375 cc,

Reply to
Ben Boyle
602cc, that's the "big block" isn't it?!?! LOL G
Reply to
B.C. Bugger

Thats just over a pint, but I bet it drinks it slower than I do LOL

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Reply to
Ben Boyle

If you go the "short way" to zero you still have to advance the odometer 31,000 miles. Assuming that you run it up to 100mph (which is really pretty fast with a hand drill) then this will take you 310 hours. This is a LOT of time and is usually fairly rough on the odo gears.

Bypassing some of the gears cuts down the time a lot, but is even rougher on the gears, in an area where they just happen to be rather fragile.

Rather than give in to some urge to make this kind of fresh start, why not just buy a small notebook that you can keep in your 2CV and record miles, gas purchases, and gas mileage.

-

Jim Adney