Oversized oil sumps...

Hey,

Wow, you guys are gonna be tired of me before this is over. I live in San Diego, and it gets pretty hot here. I have seen the oversized oil sump products that add 1.5 or more quarts to your lube system. I understand the cooling effect of this, but am curious as to whether anyone thinks it's really necessary to increase the oil volume. Does it really make that big a difference? I live in "East County", which has a climate MUCH different from the coastal climate only 5 miles away. Here in the inland valleys during the summer we can expect temps in the upper

90's and lower 100's with very little humidity, for 4 to 5 months a year. During the winter, we can expect freezing temps, frost mostly only 5 to 10 days a year. Does it make sense for me to add a bigger sump to a 1300cc motor under the stated conditions?

Skip

Reply to
Skip 66KG Lawson

no... if you are having oil temperature issues, there is an underlying cause and a sump will only prolong the time it takes to heat up...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Comments about you are disguising a problem are spot on. In Aust temps can be >100 and I,ve never had a problem with overheating in my 1300 or T3,s. I,ve always made a point as well as keeping the engine clean. A minor thing but if the engine is covered with 1/4 inch of gunge it cant ged rid of heat. John

Reply to
John

As others already have mentioned the sump extension is a: A hype, B: For racing only if ever needed. A better investment would be a new stock size blueprinted oil-pump.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

We are not getting of tired anyone, the group is slowly dying along with the aircooled scene, so fresh blood is more than welcome. It is however a good idea to get a manual or two and do a little read up, it shows you are trying, and therefore anyone here will be more than happy to answer questions no matter how obscure.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Thanks for the info. I haven't had the car long enough to know if I am having trouble with it or not. Having rescued it from my Grandmothers yard only about 8 weeks ago, and having started it up only a week ago. I have driven it around the neighborhood in the attempt unfreeze the parking brake. But I can't say I've put more than 6 miles on it total. As you can tell from my previous posts, I have a long way to go with this car.

Today I took the muffler off in anticipation of replacing the swiss cheese model it arrived with. In doing so I have discovered several problems that will only add to my bottom line, and time frame. The first is that the connector pipe between the muffler and the fresh air hose is missing. Whoever worked on it last didn't replace it. They just stuffed the hose in the hole and left it like that. This is probably the same fool who put the wrong distributor hold down bracket on it (see distributor post above). A closer look at the heater boxes showed that both left and right boxes had cracks in the exhaust pipes. Looks like I will be running $15 dollar J Pipes until the budget can hold a $200-$300 heater box purchase. Oh, the joys of the classic car reconditioning.

Reply to
Skip 66KG Lawson

Man, you guys are bumming me out! I got one and for no reason?

Reply to
John Stafford

I need either a deep sump or an accusump in my street car, because my pump bites air when accelerating hard or cornering... but then again it's not "quite" a stocker ;)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If you have external cooling you need to compensate for the oil volume taken up by the system. Is this a Vw? If so all you would need is a "Tunacan", replaces the oilscreen cover. Either that or a internal sump splashguard. The Citroen 2CV engine comes with the latter stock. :0] Guess what I am contemplating buying?

J.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

No External oil cooler in Goth. It's the 68 you have seen, but new engine. Still hiding in Finland. :(

I have a tuna can... with an electric oil heater coil in it too :D

240V... won't be needing that here. I think it was the deep dish type, I also had a flat type heated cover at one point. Now I can't remember which one ended up in my car.

I seem to remember putting a windage tray inside the case too.

I'd hate to open the case again..

For the price of a beat up 68 and later VW here, I could ship Goth over and have what I want instantly. Too bad I don't have the money. Someone in Finland was supposed to send a bug to the US in a container, and we were planning to ship mine in the same container and splitting the cost. But I guess that idea has dried up, the person who wanted to buy his car fell off the face of the earth.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I found a pristine '65 Corvair. $3000. Tempted.

Reply to
John Stafford

If it is the Turbo Spyder you've struck gold. There is one here for 12,5k :

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Saw one at the race garages in Daytona last weekend. Never saw it go on the track, and then it was no longer there. Would have been cool to see it run.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'd be tempted too....

Reply to