OT There's mud in them thar hills!!!

Wow! I started working on fabbing up a mount for a winch for the rail today, but the awesome weather got the better of me and *forced* me to drag the wife along to hit some trails. We did get stuck once in a mud-pit from hell. She must really love me. She got out and pushed and got absolutely COVERED in mud. This is a whole different kind of offroading. The front wheels/tires just come off of the ground so much that it's crazy. Very nimble vehicle and a TON of fun. LOTS of power. Saw one Jeep on the trail... It was about halfway up a hill that was covered in ruts. As he slowly made his way to the top, we took off after him. Caught up to him before he could reach the top. Very cool stuff. I wound up getting so muddy that I drove home in my underwear. Don't worry, I was driving the Honda and towing the rail since the rail isn't "street legal" yet. Got the rail completely hosed down and cleaned off and now it won't start. :-) I'm sure it's nothing major, probably just a little water-logged right now. It was running great until I got it home and cleaned it. I'm too tired to mess with it right now. Lesson learned: Don't clean it.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Oh, by the way... I got a little bit of "tunnel vision" when I finally got to go on my "quest" for the sand-rail, and I forgot my manners. I wanted to say that it was a pleasure to meet Tim. (The guy I got the sand-rail from.) He seemed like a nice guy and if he lived around here I'm sure we'd have to pull each other out of more than one mud pit. Thanks again, Tim! I'll make sure the yet-to-be-named rail gets used and abused to the best of my ability. Now go tear that dirt-bike up. :-)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Happy on your behalf Travis!! One thing comes to mind though, body panels, light and affordable :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

That would be like going to an all-you-can eat buffet and eating one small plate of salad with no dressing. What's the point? You'd be missing out on "the cool part." ;-)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Cool ride!

Man, if I ever did that to my wife she'd insist I go antiqueing or tag sailing with her for a month!!

Remco

Reply to
remco

hahahaha! My wife said I had to "scrap book" with her now. :-) I told her I figured that while she was pushing that she was thinking "this ring is NOT that big...." heh heh "tag sailing?" I'm afraid to ask... I like antique stuff so I could get into that.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Welcome back. I knew you could not stay out of the mud for long. :o)

Reply to
Bill Berckman
Reply to
David Gravereaux

Wow... I hadn't thought of anything like that. Or...

;-)

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Back "In the days..." I used a product called LPS1 (#1 is the non-messy stuff but they have other numbers) I used to start a motorcycle engine with the side cover off and spray a garden hose in the magneto. Naturally, the engine died instantly. I then sprayed some LPS1 in there and started the engine up (instantly!) and once again ran the hose in the magneto. This time it kept running. That was my 'back of the shop' demonstration. In real life, however, I had used WD40 for displacing moisture before, but it didn't work to keep the parts dry. The LPS 1 could be counted on for an entire winter / spring of motocross racing in the yuck and muck. The sprk plug cap and area needed it more often cuz I replaced sparkplugs, but the mag kept working no matter how full of muddy water it got, week after week after week. It dries to be non-sticky, so you can spray it all over electrical connections and wiring, alternators, starters, anything - it won't damage it and won't collect gunk. Carry the little 3-ounce can for those emergency break-downs (might even help emergency brakes but not likely.)

When I drove school bus, the kids loved it when this one road was flooded (about a quarter mile up to a depth of more than a foot) when I'd open up that ol' 549 ci V-8 and hit the puddle about 60mph! (35 foot all-steel bus around 20,000lbs empty!) I did start carrying my emergency can of LPS with me though, cuz I knew if they had to come and get me with the wrecker it was likely to be the last 'splainin' I'd have to do at that particular job! -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

.................I never saw any cool bus drivers like you when I was growing up Dave. I would've loved to ride in your bus, even now.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Thanks for the spotlight. I can see that the rail is in a better place now. I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted it to go somewhere that it would get the love and attention it needed. By the looks of those pictures, you know just what to do. Glad you are lovin' it!

I am looking forward to the first edition of "Rail Adventures". Actually I am sure that everyone in here is thinking the same thing. Now you have a ACVW that everyone can probably enjoy. I know the old Baja had some mixed feelings, but this is just pure fun and no "classics" get hurt. I would have a hard time believing it if anyone couldn't enjoy your "adventures" now!

Keep the offroad dream alive. (BTW loving the bike. Nice to be able to fly again )

Tim

Reply to
Utopian Drifter

Here's what happened when my cool bus driver hit a huge puddle at about 40 mph:

driver is at the far left with his hands on his hips. It was really fun until we came to that sudden stop in the ditch ..... lol. I guess he should've been going faster. :-D

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Spinning donuts in the snow with the 90-passenger 40-footer was even more fun! That one had an 855ci turbocharged Cummins!

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic