Phweem

....Or something like that, I've seen it called. This is surely a silly question to the people in this newsgroup, but what is the chirping sound unique to the VW engine. I've had several people ask me about it and I had to plead ignorant... Thanks Jeff

Reply to
JeffRens

Fweem. It's just right when the stock pea-shooters (little pipes out of the muffler) finally get loose and lasts until they get too loose.

IMHO!

Joey? Whatcha think?

Reply to
2

You are correct, it is called Fweem. Now, this is only for stock T1s with the stock exhaust (and fweem increases as the mufflers wear out), with T2s, I do believe it is called Fwoom, but I might be mistaken on that. There also was a rating of coolness for VWs based on the Ferd scale, I think Bill used to have it on his website but for the life of me, I can't remember it. Jan? Bill?

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Sneaks wrote: ... Thanks Jeff

Actually it was John Henry that had a website called the Fweematorium that has actual sounds of Fweem. Seems like he turned the site over to Howard Rose, but not sure what happened to it after that. Have not heard Fweem mentioned much in the last few years.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

hehe....J i try not to think,but if i were forced to, i'd think you are correct.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

There was also some conversation more than year ago about making the new peashooters fweem by somehow loosening the innards of them. No one reported any luck or trial however.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Far be it from me to disagree... but my "pea shooters" couldn't be any tighter and I'm singing away. My first car.. (in '70) a 66 bug made that sound from start to finish, through a few exhaust systems.......

Reply to
JeffRens

..........Not sure what the science behind it is but I have MEGA-FWEEM and I'm the only one. Ask Jan.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Fweem came from way back when (late '90s I think). We had a small contest to name the sound of the VW. Fweem came out as the accepted word. It is the sound of a stock VW muffler with pea shooters - new or old - they don't have to be loose.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi

"Dave Tosi" schreef in bericht news:IASog.3940$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

IMHO, the cheaper the better... I have those stainless steel pea shooter, not as nice a sound as the cheap crap my brother has on his super. He has the cheapest he could find (rusted before mounting) and they even produce a small wistle/ringing. NICE

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I know how to get rid of it. The cheap pea-shooters can be modified by driving out the insert, wrapping the insert with stainless steel wool and tapping it back in. No more annoying chirp without the loss of torque.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

I still host that site Bill. You can find it at:

Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen Beetle 1300 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose