Possible vapor lock?

I'm working on an older woman's 73 VW Thing, all original everything it seems. It wouldn't run at all hardly but would start. I rebuilt the carb which was sludged up, changed the points which were mildly pitted, changed the fuel filter, and adjusted the valves to spec (were close already). Also changed the plugs as they were fouled out horribly and replaced the 32 year old dryrotted vacuum lines in the whole compartment. Started it up and set the timing, 1 notch pully, to 5 ATDC for the dual Vac Dist. It started and ran great!! Decided to take it around the block to warm it up before making final carb adjustments and it pulled beautifully thru 1st and 2nd. It did stall when I cam to the stop sign but I attributed that to final carb adjustments.

Here's the problem, it sat for about 45 minutes after I parked it and I was just going to idle it to make sure it was fully warm before adjusting the bypass and volume screws. It wouldn't start back up after sitting! Finally loosened the dist clamp and advanced it some to get a lopey idle and having to play with the throttle some to stay running. After scratching my head a while I noticed the steel fuel line coming into the compartment resting on the 3-4 cyl intake manifold and it was pretty warm. I decided to let it sit overnight to cool off, that and I was frustrated!

My questions to you guys are: Does the hot fuel line sound like the probable culprit? If not any ideas on where I may have strayed? I just couldn't believe I drove it and it ran beautifull before final carb adjustments. Then after not touching anything wouldn't start 45 min later. I'm heading out there in a couple to move the line, hopefully start it up to reset the timing again and adj the card. I need to get this back to the woman by Saturday due to going out of town next week. Any help is appreciated from you guys!!

Mac

Reply to
Mac

"Mac .net>" I'm working on an older woman's 73 VW Thing, all original everything it

Got it running.... purrs like a kitten! It had to have been the fuel line. Adjusted some bends and zip tied it out of the way. Tuned the carb to spec and took it for a 20 mile test drive on backroads and some highway. BRRRRR!!! Wish it had doors and windows!

Mac

Reply to
Mac