Pricing Help On Ghia

Please help!

I'm looking at this '73 Karmann Ghia on Ebay, and need help formulating a bid.

I can look back over past sales and see what a typical Ghia sells for, but this one is a custom, with shaved bumpers and a very non-typical interior. I don't know how these modifications affect the value.

Can you give me a price range for such a car?

Thanks in advance, guys! Cavio

Reply to
Cavio Devestal

Caveat Emptor!!

You have been warned.

In buying any Karmann Ghia, there are 3 important things to look for:

1) Rust 2) Rust 3) Rust

Any Ghia that has been modified has probably been the recipient of several gallons of Bondo. Was that applied lovingly over virgin steel, or was it slapped on to cover the Irish lace which used to be steel. You won't know which it was from looking at a JPG on eBay. Trust me...

He says it has qtr panel rust. That automatically means there is rust elsewhere. Are you going to remove all the existing Bondo and start the resto over? Is the hot engine worth the bid price?

What's the car worth? Maybe $10. Maybe $10,000. Pick a card. Any card....

Plz don't get angry at me; I'm just trying to save you a heartache.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Not one pic of the undercarriage or engine compartment on the Ebay page. That, right there, would be enough to convince me not to buy it.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Inspect the car before you bid. You can't always tell the condition based on a few pictures.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

That's a fair point, if was selling and I had had the engine done, i'd make sure there was a good photo.

Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Reply to
bugman1955

Why not try NADAguides.com for the current value?

mike hunt

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

On 14 Jul 2004 13:26:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Cavio Devestal) scribbled this interesting note:

I'll sell you a '71 Ghia. I'll tell you all about the rust. I'll tell you the engine runs, but that it has issues. I'll tell you about the gallons of bondo that had been used on it before I got it. I'll also tell you I'll sell it for $500.00. Texas title. Restorable car...if you care to put the work into it. I'll even throw in some new dual port heads, a dual port intake (all three pieces), and a use 34pict-3 carburetor for an additional $150.00.

But I won't lie to you.

John Willis

Not angry at all. I appreciate your insight.

You've made good points. Now I'm starting to wonder why it didn't include pictures of the engine. I'll email the seller and ask him for those.

Around here, Ghias are getting hard to find. My nostalgia for being

16 when my mom wouldn't let me buy one is getting the better of me. I appreciate calmer heads!

I'll probably keep looking and actually visit any car with a felt pad and magnet before making an offer.

Cavio

Reply to
Cavio Devestal

Check out

Lot of Ghias there in the classifieds section.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

What part of the world are you located ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Karmann Ghia For Sale on The Samba

Check out this Ghia. I am trying to sell on my own before I go to EBay. I am planning on buying another project car and need to sell this one first.

Check it out.

Reply to
Brian Turner

I'm in the rural south. North Florida (halfway between Tallahassee and Jacksonville to be exact).

Reply to
Cavio Devestal

Well, you are to far away for the ghia in my barn. To bad. We used to live in Jacksonville a few years ago. I really hated that city.

Randy

RSMEINER