Question on converting from stock (push down for reverse) shifter to push button to reverse type

Hi all,

Basic question. I'm thinking of changing the shifter from the stock (on a Mexibeetle and I believe regular ones too) one where you push down to get into reverse to the kind where you have a button of some sort to "unlock" reverse. How hard is it to make the conversion? Do you need to touch anything that what's in the car (i.e. no messing with the shift rod, coupler or hanger/bushing)? Just looking for an idea of how hard this is. I've changed the bushing in the hanger on our true 74 if that helps guage my skill level.

Thanks!

Reply to
ismlv

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:43:54 -0400, ismlv ran around screaming and yelling:

how do you feel about taking out two 13mm (head) bolts,removing a shifter, placing a new one inits place, then replacing the removed bolts? that basically it...then of course make sure it is adjusted to give you enough travel in both frontward and rearward travel... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

...nothing changes, they are a bolt in...a little fiddling with the plate to adjust it and done. Go for it.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian