Radio Static

Been to the archives at google, no luck in my search. Wondering how to get the generator static out of my radio. I hooked the power directly to the battery, but still have the humm static sound in the radio. Really bad on the AM side. Is there a cure other than replacing plug wires etc. etc. ??

Reply to
slawman

Douglas

As Douglas suggests, the first thing to check is the antenna grounding. It that checks out, check the radio grounding. Have a separate grounding wire from the chassis of the=20 radio to the car chassis.

Then check the condition of the antenna signal wire. If that grounds or partially grounds somewhere because of busted wire insulation, that could cause the trouble.

Busted plug wires wont IMO give you a humm, but but a=20 cracking noise. I don't think replacing them will help. Checking the cables and all connections in the=20 generator circuit and grounding might help though.

If that does not work, there are noise supressors available to be placed in the radio voltage supply wire. Might=20 help or not.=20

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I Object ,Your Honor......................... in any and all Stereo systems Wired into a car, You should use as few grounding points as possible.....................But Shuold indeed have a VERY good ground for what you do ground, and it should be as close to the same ground potential as the other grounds in that system as possible.

Multiple grounds will , in fact, cause just what the OP is concerned with, if I understand correctly. It is Called "ground loop".

best way to explain, is if you have a .03ohm ground for the radio, and a .92ohm ground at the amplifier ( or antenna or whatever ), it will have a difference in ground potential , and will cause humming, whining sounds in audio.

It's true that the antenna is probably the first thing I'd check. then i would look into seeing that all of my factory engineered grounds for the car are intact and solid. Then I would think ignition. And lastly, I would consider my generator/alternator.

Do not add to the problem,...............take away from it.

use less grounds.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Sustained ;)

After a good point made, I suggest that you ground the radio chassis with proper separate wire to a good point in the car chassis. The antenna wire ground shield (the faraday gage) is grounded in the radio side so no need to ground it to the antenna mounting point.=20

And if you install amplifiers and such, still I think you=20 must ground them properly. Just ground them all to=20 the same point as the radio with proper wire and connectors.

How is that Scott? Any objections?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I started to add more, but this ain't rec.autos.antennas,...........is it?.................LOL

I think we've got 'em covered for the most part.

Thanks Olli.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

No, it is rec.autos.makers.vw.antennas. ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi