Re: 356B Brake Problem

On 27 Jul 2003 09:38:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com (wsurfn) scribbled this interesting note:

I rcently bought a newly restored 54 oval that had 356B brakes on all >4 weeks ago. I bought it unseen off the samba classifieds. When I got >it, I noticed it required a lot of foot pressure to activate the >brakes. > >Well, 2 weeks ago I got my hands dirty and took off the drums. The >right rear drum was full of axle grease and and aluminium shavings. >The 356B drum has a built-in oil slinger and it was rubbing up >against the bearing cover bolts. There is no rub on the backing >plate. The left was ok, but the wheel cylinder was leaking brake >fluid. The previous owner acted dumbfounded, and has not been >helpful. There have been few miles put on the car since its >restoration. > >I need to solve this spacing issue, so I do not repeat history. >Porsche parts are 2-4X as expensive. The rear pads were $80, the >wheel cylinder $100. > >So far, I have made sure the bearing cover and bolts are correct. I >have replaced the grease seal, o-rings, and bearing shim and spacer. I >think >the axle nut travels close to the final threads on the axle, which >is also why I think there is some spacing problem. > >I am stuck and frustrated. If anybody out there can help, e-mail me >directly. I can provide you with detailed photos. > >Thanks! > >Mark

Mark,

Firstly, if the car has incorrect brakes on it then it is not restored.

Secondly, even my 1959 Beetle has that same variety of oil slinger and there is no spacing issue. I might suspect that something is assembled incorrectly if there is no problem on the other side.

Thirdly, if the 356B parts are so much more expensive, why not sell the 356B setup to some Porsche nut and use the proceeds to install the correct brake system on the car???

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

i have 356bs on my 1950 beetle, it was a simple bolt on pricedure and thats it. SO i would guess on an oval you need the correct bearing "cap" like splits/356's. Also might try running it without the slinger and see what haps. ALSO original oval wheel cylinders will fit and are only 25-30.00 each if you know where to look. AND you can get your OLD pads rebuilt and many oldschool clutch shops.

AND NO i dont run them for the braking BUT for the looks........ the "look" was liked so much i will be in Keithe Seumes new mag ULTRA VW.

Reply to
Jim Buys

Reply to
pbeyer

That is helpful, and proves something is wrong.

Mine is correct. I ordered a pair from Gary at Parts Obsolete in CA and they were identical to the ones I have.

Mine is part of the drum itself so I cannot take it off.

Good tip!

I will look into this.

Reply to
wsurfn