66 Sunroof Cable Problem and Aftermarket Recommendation

I am rebuilding the factory steel sunroof assembly on my '66 bug. I got all new parts from West Coast Metric, including the cables. Everything works fine except the cables (which say German) on the package have different tips than the original.

The original cables were capped on the end opposite the lift mechanism with a small 3/8 "bullet followed by four small 3/16" rolling cylinders giving it quite a bit of flex to go around the corner inside the stainless tubes before dumping into the side rails. The new cable just had a flimsy crimped

1/2" aluminum bullet on the end. It was crimped, and therefore, not cylindrical and 1/8" longer and, therefore, wouldn't go around the bend of the stainless tubes.

I tried to "round" out the bullet some, but that ended up splitting the bullet and it fell off. I cut off the frayed cable ends (about 3/8" worth) and rounded out the end with my dremel tool. No matter what I do it isn't smooth enough to go around the bend without catching.

I have three questions:

1) Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work?

2) Does anyone know where to get the original cables with the extended ends (bullet and rollers)?

3) Has anyone gotten fed up with this cable assembly and just put an aftermarket sunroof assembly on top (since the hole is already cut)? If so, what company do you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Jim Berg

I think I understand what you are talking about, as I have a 69 fasty out back and there's a spare "cable rack" for lack of a better term. Wiht a bit of looking I think you could probably use a bit of brazing on the end to make it stop fraying and gently with something that will keep the heat dow, round the end off nicely...................This or maybe some silver solder ( which takes more heat to use) should do the job........................I have not done this , but it seems like it would work , form my limited experience with cables and tubes.

hope this helps.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®