Re: bench bleeding master cylinder

On 1 Jul 2003 21:57:02 -0700, rob_taylor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (RobTaylor), who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

How do you guys bench bleed master cylinders? More specifically, do >any of >you do it in the car?

This worked for me:

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:10:08 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Yeah, here's how I did mine. I just did it again and took a picture:

A- remove the cap over the sending unit by prying it up with a flat-bladed screwdriver. It just snaps in place. (It's just laying to the side in the picture)

B- Remove the 5 retaining screws

C- Just lift it up and turn it to the side and it'll come right out. Once it gets to the point where it is in the picture, that's when you have to turn it about 90 degrees to get it to come out?

Not much to it, really. Not sure if yours is the same as mine or not. Good luck.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:34:31 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Yes... and the rear ones.

you have pictures of that?

Unfortunately, no. I will just say that it was a royal pain in the @ss to do it. I don't recall all of the details. I remember the engine was out and then I just crawled under there and loosened up what was obvious that needed to be loosened/disconnected and then I had to PRY LIKE CRAZY to get the tranny to move backwards barely enough to get the old mount out put the new mount in. I remember thinking I'd *never* get the new one back in after I finally got the old one out. I didn't have to mess with the axles any, but I remember doing a LOT of cussing and serious straining to get that mount replaced. That's the reason I don't have pictures of it. Not good to have delicate equipment in my hands (like the camera) when I start gettin' worked up over stuff like that. What's that Banner guy say about makin' him angry..? ;-P My best advice for you is to go into the job of replacing the front mount *knowing* it won't be fun and take your time and make sure no children are around during the procedure if you're like me, or you might spark their imaginations with some of the new words and phrases you'll be throwing around. Good luck!

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

jajajajjaa.... ok... dis you have to support the tranny? loosen the rear ones to take the front one out? just preparing for the dirty job. Engine is nonexistant...

Reply to
Eduardo

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:07:21 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Yes.

loosen the rear

Yes again. I'm sure someone out here can give a much more detailed description of the procedure than I can. I've only done the front mount replacement one time and I'm foggy on the details.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Who ya talkin about?

Jan :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

:D

That's it.. ran out of rum about a week ago and haven't bought replacement..

Pffffft I was designed for warmer climates anyway

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

He He... Every time I go to work on something new on the bug I try to take one of my kids (G-15, B-13, B-8) out to "help" me. What I am really trying to do is get one of them bittin by the Bug bug. Of course, when they are with me and things aren't going quite right I tend to do a lot of teeth clenched grumbling. Only once so far has it gotten to the point of "Why don't you go on inside and see if your mom needs help with anything." Of course on that occasion, as I am under the car, grunting and cussing bad enough to make a sailor blush (wait.... I AM a sailor!) I hear the neighbors 6 yr old ask... " what ya' doin' mista' Rogers?" Had to explain his sons new vocabulary to his dad (luckily he is also a sailor...)

Reply to
Tarbal5691

I've done many MCs over the past 30 years and I've yet to see any advantage to bench bleeding. I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything, but it appears to me that it just makes a simple job messy and difficult.

OTOH, I don't have any idea what you're doing wrong, unless you're letting your brake fluid reservoir run dry in the bleeding process.

-

Jim Adney

When I installed a new master on my 72 super I had to loosen the two switches while i had a friend hold pressure on the brake pedal. Air came out and I got a really good pedal after that. You may want to stick someone in the drivers seat and try bleeding the master cylinder this way. First crack the lines loose. then do the switches , and then bleed the rest of the wheels. this should get all of the air. oh. and dont forget to make sure all of the shoes are adjusted properly. Good Luck

Reply to
C ~

I agree. This is a very effective way to get the dual ckt M/C rid of trapped air. Just relying on bleeding from the wheels can be frustrating.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You're welcome. In fact, did you know that if you have a system in good shape you can bleed the WHOLE car without ever pumping the pedal?

All you have to do is open a bleed valve and let gravity do the work. Wait until the fluid come out bubble-free and then move on to the next wheel. This works on our VW because the reservoir is so far above the MC that the extra pressure does the work for us, albeit slowly.

This takes quite a bit more time, but if you have other things to do it is quite effective. If it doesn't work, you have other problems anyway, and you'll just have to fix them.

-

Jim Adney

And you can do the job alone! Fast! I finally broke down and bought a power bleeder. Now I need to take in some jobs to pay it off. :)

Reply to
J Stafford

Now you tell us! Hey, how's Madison right now? I have an urge to drive my Raby engine there for a visit.

Reply to
J Stafford

A week ago we were having the best weather in the whole world, but in the past 3 days it's suddenly turned hot & humid and I think summer is officially here.

Where would you be coming from?

-

Jim Adney