Bench Bleeding revisited

Your impressions, please. I am installing a new master cylinder into the '72 Standard Bug.

Isn't just as easy to bleed the MC after installing as it is to do it on a bench? It seems to me that filling the resevoir and connecting it to the two MC inlets, then with the brake lines off, pump the pedal gently until the air stops coming out the brake line holes would be okay. That way I won't have to mess with a full MC during installation.

Anywho, I'm off to the shop to see how spendy these bench bleeding kits are. (I have a monster power bleeder to finish the rest of the work.)

Reply to
John Boy

I have never bench bled the Type 1 brake master cylinders. I have had maybe 2, out of 30-40, that caused me some bleeding issues though. I would say install it and then bleed it esp. since you have the power bleeder!

JMHO! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Happy Sunday, Dave. Yeah, I think I'll do that. I've got the front end up, the left front wheel off, and after lunch I'll give it a shot. Power bleeding is great.

Reply to
John Boy

I'm with Dave here too....i've *never* had a need to "benchbleed" a vw master cylinder....but i've only installed 25 or so over the years...so dave has me there...hehe

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

ONLY 25 is good enough for me!

Reply to
John Boy

Geez you all make me feel so old having worked on VWs since the early 70s.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

They've got me beat by about double. :)

But I've got a Ford pickup that... "absolutely without a doubt has to be bench bled" -everybody

I've put 3 or 4 on it over the years and never bench bled any of them, they all bled fine.

Never needed to do anything, other than... putting a clean rubber vacuum hose on the bleeder and the other end down low in a clean jar with a little clean brake fluid in it and pump away.

My dad always had us pump and hold the pedal etc.

The master cylinder won't suck fluid up that vacuum hose when it can pull it from the reservoir. :)

No need to buy a bunch of stuff.

Alvin in AZ ps- save your used brake fluid (rip the label off the can or something) and use it for paint remover pps- washes off with water

Reply to
alvinj

just shows how many junkers i've bought...i was born in the early

70's...hehe
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Never bothered either.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

You ARE old! But not as old as VW Doctor Chuck Harrison.

Reply to
John Boy

Yeah Chuck has me beat but I think he is semi retired from auto repair. Have you chatted with him lately? I had his tele # in my cell phone, but my sim card got zapped. :-(

How are you do>> Geez you all make me feel so old having worked on VWs since the early >> 70s.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1