Re: Changing type of key a car uses

Wow K type is PRECISLY what I desire. but alas I use type R Grrrr

Chris Taylor

> > I see key blanks that are so what I want. VW Logo in metal cut out. > > Wolfsburg west has a full selection of VW keys, including the style you're > talking about: > >
> Their page even tells you what style of key was originally used on what car. > You'll quickly note that there's several keys that use the pattern you're > talking about.. it may be there exists another blank that better suits your > situation. > > > Can I "change" whatever the part is in my ignition to USE the new type of > > key blank ? > > In theory you can, but it seems like quite a chore. Assuming your ignition > switch is similar to the one in my bug, they close the unit up by bending > metal around the plastic insert. Opening it up is difficult, opening it up > in a way that you can reassemble it to look undamaged is moreso. ;) > > I suppose you could try to buy an ignition switch that already uses the key > style you want and put it in your vehicle, but I don't know enough about the > thing to say if parts are compatiable that way. > > If you do end up buying a new ignition switch, make sure you chat with the > sellers beforehand (wolfsburg west and aircooled.net are both really good > about talking with customers) and specify what your requirements are because > they don't always come with the key you might be expecting.
Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Thanks both of you for the info I am going to get right on it.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Mine are some weird ass hybrid, the VW logo is oriented like the SG type (turned 90 degrees from what the K is), but the grooves match the SC type, which is proper for the year of my bug. However, the "notches" (points where metal is cut away to narrow the key a bit) don't match ANY pictures on that page.

Point being, wolfsburg isn't a complete list of all the options that were made, which I imagine are as numerous as grains of sand on the beach.

But it is a good start. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham