Re: Semi OT...Volkswagen Commercial draws protests

The problem of idiots crossing flooded roads is so bad in Arizona, we even enacted the "Stupid Motorist" law. That's not the official title of it, but everyone's been calling it that since it was proposed.

It calls for a $500 fine and repayment of rescue costs for anyone who crosses a barricade or ignores warnings and drives into a flooded road.

The monsoon rains and flash floods make hundreds of streets and roads into rivers out here. Every year there are dozens of these idiots who ignore the warnings and think they can get across.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Don't know a thing about making videos, but it would be a trip if we could save that tape as a file and edit the video with the LCB being driven across the lake instead of the Toureg.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

I'd rather see the LCB driving across the stream-stuck Touareg ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

LOL That would be better. Why spend $50,000 on an SUV when a 63 Beetle will do the job nicely. Original video is viewable at the VW.com website at this address.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

danged whiners.

I drive through high water all the time in my jeep. (up to the door handles with a 3" lift and 31" tires :-)

the problem is not high water. the problem is MOVING high water :-) I would never attempt to cross moving high water. that is suicide.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Very true on the high moving water. My wife is director of Operations for the Ohio Emergency Management Agency. It's amazing how many deaths occur during disasters that are just people being stupid.

I suppose I could have instigated an international incident once...I was working with army engineers in Nicaraugua a few years ago and we responded to a washed out bridge on Highway 1, being good neighbors and since there was no other heavy equipment available in the vicinity. Traffic was backed up for miles. While were building a bypass, a secretary to the president (Nicaraugua) was observing. He asked me if I would give him a ride to the other side in the HMMWV I was driving. He climbed in and I shot through some extremely high and fast moving water. I was committed halfway and figured it would make it or not...it did of course. He was very impressed and said they needed to get some of them...I love those things. I've driven through many places I wouldn't have thought I could get through...Hey,fellow taxpayers, why not? I own a piece of all of them! I wouldn't ever try those things in a Toureg or any other four wheeled vehicle.

John

Reply to
dragoneyre