received new exhaust today

From The Real Source, and i must say that im pretty disappointed with this exhaust, its this one

and first of all, most of the paint had came off, not sure if it was the delivery or what, 2nd the flanges are about 1 1/2 inches too wide, yes, they need to come in about 1 1/2'', 3rd, the preheat tube flanges are filled and the tubes are un functional they dont even go through into the exhaust....... paid $148.56 for it....contemplating on sending it back or just making it work...

Reply to
Exille

Well, it looks pretty on the picture? If you're really unhappy with it, send it back. If you try to make it work and end up doing any "damage" to it and it STILL doesn't fit then you can't really return it. Then you'd be out $150 and still have to buy another exhaust. And if the tubes aren't functional what the hell's the point?! I say send it back.

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

by too wide i mean, how the tubes come out and up to meet the heads they are too far aparts so it doesnt it doesnt fit, one will match up but the other will be 1 1/2 inches too far away to even get the bolts through the flange..

Reply to
Exille

Just wonder, what are the BETTER options, if need a street performance exhaust.

"Exille" ¦b¶l¥ó news:NDFMb.36128$na.27012@attbi_s04 ¤¤ ¼¶¼g...

Reply to
Yellow Godzilla

Unless its specified, the paint that's used on new exhausts is basically just on there to keep it from rusting up in the box and thats about it. Usually you need to pretty much strip that paint off too to make any other "high heat" paint stick well too :( I must have scuffed and painted a header on my baja 4 times in a year before I finally broke out the sandblaster and took it all down and then sprayed it again. I got a good year of it looking/staying painted and rust free.

1 1/2" seems a bit extreme but this too is a fact of life with alot of exhausts. My latest exhaust from Kymco took some creative tweaking to get it to fit correctly. Allthough with that particular setup you have it might be diffucult to tweak.

That is done in case you have dual carbs or if you do not want to run preheat. Nothing a drill bit won't cure. Its a actually a good thing, saves you a couple bucks on block off plates (and possible leaks if you don't need them.

They got your for $28 in shiipng for it huh? Remeber your gonna lose that plus the cost to ship it back unfortunatly :(

Good luck with it! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Well, i called them up and explained, theyre going to send me a paid shipping ticket to send it back plus a new one, i talked to one of their techs and he said someone screwed up bad on it, its a nice setup and i like it, my friend has one and i like how it sounds, main reason i wanted one, they said that theyve had a problem with incorrect spacing on a few from different people.

Reply to
Exille

The paint on ALL of them is just as bad. It is to be considered as temporary "Storage paint" to prevent surface rust from forming. Ideally, you would REMOVE all of the original paint and re-paint with some quality stuff. Even then, most paints (even high temp ones) will burn off during the first 15 minutes of running the engine. Sorry. That's just how it goes.

Again VERY common. Admittedly some manufacturer's jigs may be slightly off, but also there are engines with varying widths, so it's impossible to make it fit right for all engines. But you are in luck! If you can force the header on, and you should as it remains faily flexible thanks to the long pipes, the system will assume it's newfound position and dimensions after it gets hot for the first time. After that it will fit just right, and next time you remove it you will see that it doesn't need any force when reinstalling.

That's how they are supposed to be, the instructions should have stated that you need to drill them open, IF YOU WANT TO USE THE PREHEAT tubes. Many people use dual carburators and would WANT these to be closed, as they have no preheat tube to connect to these.

You did not get screwed, you got what everyone else is getting. Yes you are supposed to "make" it work yourself. It's not that much extra work. Except the part about stripping teh storage paint off. There are spots where it sits pretty tight.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

and one of their stainless steel exhausts.

Sit down before checking their pricelist.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I have seen these advertised in Hot VWs magazine with a ceramic coating.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Reply to
Ilambert

TOO LATE

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Everyone else has given good advise as far as paint is concerned. I have a suggestion to add to that, and another question. After you paint it with some high heat paint, install it. Then, run the engine for 2 minutes (or shorter, down't let the pipes exiting the head start to smoke), shut down and cool, start and run for 5, repeat adding 5 or 10 minutes each time, with a cooldown period in between. After 5 or 6 cycles, the paint should be fully cured, and will not burn off.

Question for you; is your engine a 1200, or 13/15/1600? When I was young and VW-stupid, I mistakenly bought a header made for a 1200, and spent the better part of a day fitting it to a 1300 (which is wider).

Reply to
Jeckler

its a 1500, BUT its going to be a 1600dp soon

Reply to
Exille

Whenever possible, I prefer to weld it up myself. That way I can use my own engine as a jig for a guaranteed fit.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Is it the best? or any other options? Stainless steel is exactly what i am looking for.

Thanks anyway.

"Jan" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com ???...

Reply to
Yellow Godzilla

I have no personal experience so I can't comment on the quality or performance. Ask around. Maybe at

I'm pretty sure some of the guys there are using Ahnendorp exhausts.

Jan

Yellow Godzilla wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

thanks Jan.

"Jan Andersson" ??? news:bu6aoh$eahri$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-72729.news.uni-berlin.de ???...

Reply to
Yellow Godzilla

Ain't he the best?

Kidd "A hundred days to make me older since the last time that I saw your pretty face. A thousand lies to make me colder and I don't think I could look at this the same, but all the miles that seperate disappear now when I remember your face."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

wow~ they are the best!? I should ask them about the cost now.

"Kidd Andersson" ¦b¶l¥ó news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
Yellow Godzilla

She sai d*I* am ;) Not the exhaust....

Although I can produce some quite impressive "exhaust" too. But she's told me not to demonstrate whenever she's near so I'll skip that.

Jan

Yellow Godzilla wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson