Restoration

Well, if you ONLY want to see if it will start, then the only other thing you will need to do, is put in fresh fuel (that means the entire system) and keep a fire extinguisher handy. HOWEVER, anything more - replace all rubber (fuel line, brake lines), basic tune-up parts (points, condensor, etc). I'd probably also rebuild the carb & fuel pump. You'll also likely need to watch all of your seals. Basically, anything that is rubber and been sitting will potentially need to be replaced (such as the grommet in the fuel line behind the fire wall if your year beetle has one). - DB

Reply to
DB

I have a 74 Beetle which has been sitting in the garage for 15 years now. It ran when it was put in, and I would like to get in on the road again. I have new tires and a new battery, and moved it out the the garage this weekend. I know it needs some other work, but basically I want to know if it is safe to try starting the car if I change the oil. If not, what else should I check or replace before trying to start the car? Also, I'd like to know if Castrol 10W-40 oil is okay to use (I live in the Pittsburgh PA area). Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Pat

On 3 Apr 2004 19:25:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pat) ran around screaming and yelling:

go to :

then scroll down(close tothe bottom of page) under "Misc. Techniques, Tips and other stuff thatI couldn't think of a heading for:" you will find a subject titled:"Resuscitating and Mummifying a Beetle- Awakening and Storagetips... "........now grab a cold beverage, some snacks and sit downand read John Henry's recommnedations....bookmark his sitewww.thebugshop.org for future reading...excellent site...JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks for the advise. Between this message board, thebugshop.org, and my Bently manual, the beetle should be on the road soon!

Reply to
Pat