Rims

I have an opportunity to buy 14x7 rims for my 1975 Bug, currently it has the stock 15 inch rims. What should I be concerned about? I realize the speedo would be off so what size and profile of tire would compensate for this? Thanks Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Take the stock example first:

The "stock" tire is a 165/80/15. This means that the width of the tire is

165 millimeters wide, and has a 15 inch inner diameter to fit the rim. If there is no number stated (say you see just 165/15 on the tire) the "default" is 80.

That second number is a percentage. And it is a percentage of the 1st number. It is a "profile" of how tall the tire is.

So, in the case of the stock tire of 165 mm, the 80 means 80% of 165. This is 132 millimeters. So if you took a tape measure, you would measure the "height" of one side of the tire to be 132 mm. Although, to get the total height from where the tire touches the ground to the top of the tire, you have to add it all together.

You start off from the ground, add 132 mm, plus 15 inches which is 381 millimeters, add ANOTHER 132 mm for the top of the tire. You get a TOTAL of

645 millimeters. Or about 25.4 inches.

So, to get a "near" tire that wont make your speedometer be off much, you need a tire that has a similar height of 645 mm.

A lot of people run 195/70/15 's which are:

195 mm x .7 = 136.5 mm

Total height = 136.5 mm + 381 mm + 136.5 mm = 654 mm. Which is close to 645 mm.

If the tire companies made a 175/75/15 that would be great. (Tire height =

643.5 mm) But they apparently don't make this size tire.

Those 7 inch wide rims might give you problems when you turn sharply, especially since you'll have to have a "fat" wide tire, at least a

195/70/14.

Lynn

1974 Superbeetle

Reply to
Lynn Martin

????? Sounds confusing to me. Here's the easy way:

It looks like a 205/70-14 might be your best fit.

Reply to
Neil

Reply to
Glenn