Rocky - Fuel Valve??

Why a fuel cutoff to thwart thieves? Why not a timer relay on the ignition? Use a timer relay from *most any car* with a rear window defogger (maybe too long!) or make yer own delay... Or simply add another switch where you don't have to reach for it, like in the drivers door panel as an emergency shut off (to a relay back there.)

Or how about a dual tank valve you can get at most any FLAPS? Plug one leg. Can also use it for draining the tank when you need to if positioned properly. This type of valve is designed to have the valve below the floor and the operating handle above so it could even be placed under the back seat fairly easily.

-BH

Reply to
Busahaulic

It's a fact that I am more comfortable messing around with electrons than highly-flammable petrochemicals. So the idea of a timer relay to thwart thieves instead of plumbing is attractive. But I must confess that I am getting little unattractive vertical vex lines between my brows as I try to figure out how a relay, timer or otherwise, can be used in an anti-thief system.

Sign me, 2 Simple 2 Live.

Busahaulic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

ON ANOTHER TOPIC DEPT. Anyone know where a fellow could find a suitable

I found a fuel shut off valve at the local lawn equipment dealer. it was a Briggs and Stratton part (black plastic). I don't know the part number David

Reply to
David

There are lotsa considerations... Some people are wary of car-jackings. If such is the case, a timer relay with a switch in a spot you don't have to reach for will allow the thief to get far enough away that you won't be in danger when the engine stops. The timer relay would be in the ignition circuit, cutting power to the coil. A similar system with a regular relay to a hidden switch would thwart thieves that would - oh, never mind this one, cuz no thief is going to drill out the ignition switch / steering wheel lock on a VW bus to steel it. In fact, simply putting a new sticker over the shift pattern sticker - turned upside-down - would thwart all but the VW bus - aware types and this would only be crime of opportunity types for when you forgot the key in it! Why would the fuel valve be better? On a FI engine, you can simply wire a switch into the fuel pump relay circuit.

electrons

timer relay to

must confess

between my

otherwise, can be

relay

with

have

> ch?keyword=fuel%20shutoff&advanced=YES&searchDeptId=6> >

tank

valve

the

Reply to
Busahaulic

Oh -- got it. These are time-delay relays with normally-closed contacts. Let the ignition key provide power to the relay when the car is turned on, then after the time-delay period, the contacts open, cutting voltage to the coil. A switch across the relay contacts can be used to bypass the relay, providing uninterrupted power. But for the hapless thief, the bus stops running when he is no longer close enough to cause a hubbub. He flees on foot, cursing his bad luck.

How far away . . . maybe a couple blocks is good. That's about 15 seconds I suppose, in a residential neighborhood. As you say, a rear window auto-shutoff relay gives too much time. A fuel valve would provide this delay.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

of

the

normally-closed contacts.

car is turned

cutting voltage

used to bypass

hapless thief, the

cause a hubbub.

about 15

say, a rear

valve would

Reply to
Busahaulic

Oh now, that /is/ a good idea. Are such things available?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sure they are, older Eberspacher gas heaters have them for example.

Any race car accessory shop should carry these too, I would think.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Which would be more likely a good fit for the Wonderbus's 5mm fuel line?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Would you consider installing an electric fuel pump? You could then hook it into a kill switch as an extra feature. I'll bet Speedy Jim has some good ideas on how to wire it into a fail-safe system.

Reply to
jjs

Nah -- seems like more trouble than it is (presently) worth. I gather that cheap-o fuel pumps are noisy and put out too much pressure. Better ones are more expensive.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

FWIW, the better pump is the Mallory and it's about $60. Blockoff plate is under $5. Not a bad price for reliability.

Reply to
jjs

You could then

Speedy Jim has some