Milage?

What kind of mileage should I expect from my 70 Beetle with a stock

1600cc motor and carb. I'm getting like 19 -20 mpg mixed city/highway. It runs great, don't see any smoke, but for some reason I'm thinking I should do better. I think I remember my '65 1300cc getting in the high 20's mpg. Are these typical numbers? Any suggestions to improve? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Reply to
JeffRens

I also have a stock 1970 beetle. I get around 23 mpg at 65-70mph for a hundred mile run at 7000 feet. Your figures don't sound bad to me. - Bob

Reply to
Bob

Give her a tuneup. Make sure you are running correct carbeuration, ask or read on how to do that. Make sure your timing is dead on. Are you driving usually with a lot of people or stuff in the car? Make sure your tire inflation is right. I've heard of people getting mid thirties in a properly maintained VW. You may want to get an electric ignition also, they are supposed to give you better gas mileage according to conventional wisdom and all of the people that are actually in the know. I'm still on points just because my ghia isn't my driver (my GTI is), so its not a priority. There are a number of other things you can do, remember the basic principle behind getting better mileage is to keep your foot out of it.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer