Scraping noise attached to stick shift?

Greetings, all!
I'm having an odd scraping noise coming from the back of the car, getting a bit worse over the last week. I can affect it by moving the stick-shift a
bit, and when I put my hand on the shifter, I can feel the scraping noise.
Any suggestions what I want to look into?
(Scraping noises are bad, right?)
Thanks, Earl snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com