1986 A2 Manual Stick Shift R&R

I have a 1986 A2 Golf (1.8L) with a sloppy 5 speed stick shift. I have replaced all the bushings in the engine compartment end of the shift rod,
including the bushing at the end of the rod near the fire wall.
I still have too much play in th stick shift. When in gear I can wiggle the shifter a good amount. I assume I need to replace the circular ball at the base of the shifter and the bushing right in front of the stick shift.
I welcome tips and suggestions on the easiest way to replace these. I assume I have to disasemble the stick shift and the shifter rod.

the
the
assume I

Actually you get things out of there from under the car and depending on how well you can maneuver under there you may need to disconnect the downpipe from the cat and swing the exhaust aside. I've done both the shifter bushings and the ball and I still have some play when in gear. I don't think you'll get it all out.
Jtkrush wrote:

It may be a worn ball bushing under the stick:     http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml#FAQ9
If that is OK, then there may be some wear and play in other parts of the linkage, see below for a writeup I did that reduced my shifter play from nearly 2" down to 1/4":     http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkageInstall.shtml#DiagnosingProblems
--
Roger

||Jtkrush wrote: ||> ||> I have a 1986 A2 Golf (1.8L) with a sloppy 5 speed stick shift. I have ||> replaced all the bushings in the engine compartment end of the shift rod, ||> including the bushing at the end of the rod near the fire wall. ||> ||> I still have too much play in th stick shift. When in gear I can wiggle the ||> shifter a good amount. I assume I need to replace the circular ball at the ||> base of the shifter and the bushing right in front of the stick shift. ||> ||> I welcome tips and suggestions on the easiest way to replace these. I assume I ||> have to disasemble the stick shift and the shifter rod. || ||It may be a worn ball bushing under the stick: ||    http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml#FAQ9 || ||If that is OK, then there may be some wear and play in other parts of the linkage, see below for a writeup I did that reduced my shifter play from nearly 2" down to 1/4": || http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkageInstall.shtml#DiagnosingProblems || ||-- || Roger
Just buy Roger's kit for the best solution. Short, tight throws. Worked for me. Rex in Fort Worth