Sermons

DogDiesel

LOL! Good burn!

Reply to
John Stafford

We really do not know that, PJ. Bob was firm in his withdrawal. He made it available through booklocker.com, but it's been gone for some time.

For the record, Bob announced the CD on 19 Feb 2008

Then your backup would no longer be a backup: it would be an illegal copy. Please read the law very carefully. (I was top 5% of my law class. Watch out! :))

Home burned is as legitimate as a Bob Hoover hand-built engine.

Reply to
John Stafford

A criminal mentality is quite creative in justifying it's crime. It's all about you, eh? Learn up about Copyright. Sooner than later.

Book, CD, Internet posts - what difference? Learn up on Copyright.

Reply to
John Stafford

Why not quit whining. If you don't want to sell, Then Don't.

If im not making any money off of it. Or reprinting it. And its in my garage. Then there's no copywrite infringement .

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody heard it . Did it happen.

Or as Bob put it . Mind your own business.

I'm making my own.

Reply to
DogDiesel

I don't think anyone here is offended, we are a thickskinned bunch... if we weren't we wouldn't still be in this group... my point wasn't that it wasn't suggested, but that it wasn't me that suggested it, you incorrectly attributed the quote to me..

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, regardless of what we think, we can't break the law and go against what was his last wish on this matter... I suppose his wife would be the only one who could give us permission.

A backup copy for your own use is allowed in Finland too, not sure about the US. But if you sell or give away the original, you are no longer entitled to keep the copy either.

If someone were to compile a website collection of links and searches that pull the same information from the web and usenet, I'm sure that's perfectly ok. It's like making another "CD" from scratch, using the same already once published information. The original author still holds copyright to the content. Whoever makes the website or hosts the links, does not own copyright to the work displayed. And should not try to "sell" it either, but this is a gray area now that I'm not so sure of. Selling memberships to a locked website to view the links that lead to openly available articles? Weird but I guess there's a market for anything :)

I did study copyright law among other laws in college, but that was in Finland. And a long time ago. :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson