Shelters

Have any of you tried the 'tent' shelters for your vehicle(s)? I'm SOL on a place to keep my '58 so that I can acutally get at it. (It's squeezed under the back porch roof. A total pain to get to.)

The shelter would have to stand up to high winds and hail. Hail just terrifies me as I lost a good car to it once.

TIA

Reply to
jjs

..............With enough bracing and without the side walls they'll take a lot of wind and at least marble sized hail if it doesn't accumulate on it (I've seen the hail just bounce off because the top is peaked). However, heavy wet snow has destroyed two of them here in my backyard, so I probably won't waste my money getting another. If we lived in a region that doesn't get much snow, they'd be a great solution for protecting cars, boats, etc.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Snow - yep, that's the bummer.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:19:31 -0500, "jjs" scribbled this interesting note:

John,

I have one that came from King Canopy. It works well, even in the storms we have here in North Central Texas. I've had it up for several years (even had to order a new top from K.C. a few months ago!) and never had a problem. Of course, I screwed all the sections together so it has a bit more strength and some of the poles are inserted into some short metal fence posts that by happy accident happened to be in exactly the right places.

Spent about $200 on it at Sam's and another $50 for the replacement top and it works just fine.

John Willis

The shame here is that I cannot move to Texas and enjoy the salary I have. Bummer. Maybe I should reconsider the options. You Texans have been good souls. I am in in some kind of Limbo. Or something.

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:43:07 -0500, "jjs" scribbled this interesting note:

Limbo, Gumbo, what's the difference?

Surely what you do for a living isn't so specialized that some place 'round these parts won't compensate you similarly???

Then again, I suppose they have to offer some incentive to put up with the uncivilized winters you experience up thataway? All I know is I'm usually best described as a lizard. I love the warmth and cannot stand the cold. Given a choice I'd rather be sweating my self silly doing the things I like to do than to be cooped up inside because it is too cold to actually get anything done outside!:~) (If it is under 50 degrees it is too cold to get anything done outside!:~)

As to the kind of shelter you asked about, the website is

as I recall. They state their stuff is not rated for snow loads, but I've not had any problem with our puny snows around here. On Valentine's Day this year we had a good amount of snow (somewhere around four to six inches, depending upon location) and I know I've had sixty mph winds, or more, as well as rains up to four to six inches on this shelter. Never had any problem. I know that small amount of snow isn't anything at all, but you ought to be able to rig up some kind of inexpensive reinforcement underneath the canopy for wintertime that would take a larger snow load. A little plywood and you are there!

(Or you could take a page out of John Henry's book and build yourself some sort of Beetle Box!:~!)

John Willis

..............If you're thinking of bracing the uprights (legs), that's not a bad idea. The two that collapsed with me buckled in the middle of the upright supports. I have noticed that the latest version that Sam's Club sells uses larger diameter tubing which ought to be much more rigid under a compression load. I still don't think that they'd be too reliable with 18+ inches of heavy wet snow on them. The leveling and rope bracing has to be perfect when there's that much weight up top.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I had a meeting with the boss last week. I told him I was worried about my salary level. He replied, "I know, and I want to assure you that you are going to be paid what you are worth." Paid what I'm worth! I'm doing better than that now! I'm gonna starve!

Reply to
jjs

.................That's one of your best qualities John...........humility!

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

John...........humility!

Humble? Moi? We can't have that kind of disinformation floating around, can we! I may be stupid about ACVWs, but I do enjoy a rarified job description. Seriously, I am rather stuck here.

I should have been a medic. You folks can go almost anywhere.

Reply to
jjs

Theres some metal "carports" That are sold around here for like $700. The guy arcoss the street has two of them in his yard to house his boats. I have been considering one for here at the new house.

Thier shapes are very much like the King canopies allthough everything is bolted and I think the posts are concreted. I would imagine the metal roof could handle snow, but don't quote me (31 years old and still haven't seen snow!). Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

That might work, but here we have to have a building permit for anything that fastens to the ground. Ya know, I better just save up for a new garage. It's going to be huge!

Reply to
jjs

...what about a metal carport kit with the legs imbedded in five gallong buckets of cement...it wouldn't be fastened to the ground that way and would be easilly movable to prove the point by a dozen or so men ;)

...Gareth (problem solver)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:33:37 -0500, "jjs" ran around screaming and yelling:

John our local codes are similar... but as long as its not "permenant" no permit required....permenant meaning planted in the ground....the thing to do with the metal carports is to have the installer(around here a 10x16 carport is 695 *installed*) drive the stakes that usually go through the metal "bottom plate" into some 6x6 posts(lying down on ground) or old railroad tees....this gives you additional height and beats the codes....it would take a hell of a wind gust to move it... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:39:03 -0400, Gary Tateosian ran around screaming and yelling:

good idea.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

.............Actually I'm very restricted in that I can only work in open heart surgery. There's only three of us here in my area, not much more than a few thousand nationwide and about five thousand worldwide. To change jobs, I'd have to pack up and move away to another city.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...never a bad thing. I'd suggest somewhere warmer...hmm...NC has some good colleges, you might want to send the daughter here first to check the area out. As usual, I'll do whatever I can to help out and be of service.. ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I've been in open heart surgery - as a journalist. I did a cover picture of it for Parade magazine. It's icky stuff. :)

Reply to
jjs

................I've moved around quite a lot during the past 35+ years. The Binghamton, NY area is fine for me at this time. In about three years when the youngest kid graduates from high school, we may re-locate but it'll likely to be further north! I don't like the half-@$$ed winters here and would like it better where there's hardly ever any slushy mess on the roads because everything stays frozen solid from mid-December until the geese start coming north again. Ever been to Saranac Lake or Alexandria Bay Gary? That's where the real men hibernate..............lol

.........BTW........the daughter is going to be in Delaware at art school for at least another year & she's thinking of transferring to a school in NYC after that..........she may NEVER make it to NC.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

................Do you remember seeing some a-hole jerk sitting there operating the heart & lung machine?

.......I've been around.

Reply to
Tim Rogers