Shift coupler

I thought I would take on the project of enabling my car to shift better so I ordered parts including coupler and shift rod bushing. I removed the shift rod through the front of my 63 bug and that went fine. I then looked down into the shift hole and pulled out the remainder of my old bushing and put in my new bushing and that went fine. But, I am now standing here pondering the next event which will conclude this exercise and that is putting this square urethane blocked item on the end of the shift rod and putting it in PLACE OF the old coupler OR in addition to the old coupler????? And do the red urethane blocks stay in the mechanism or are they for shipping??? Either way it doesn't seem like there are enough holes.............Anyone gone through this exercise that may have some wise words of wisdom????. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

...I am presuming by your confuzzlement that you have a round shift coupler on there now? if so you need another round coupler, and not the cage setup used on later cars. They round couplers come in eurathane as well....but if your original is in good shape, by all means keep using it. The slop you were experiencing was most likely caused by the front bushing. Here is a general rule that l;ike most general rules is not always accurate but usually is. Side to side slop=front bushing...front to back slop=rear. If you think about it the reason is obviouys. If you did have the cage style I'd recommend keeping the blocks and tossing the junk cage that comes with them and re-using original.

HTH

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Agreed. Keep the old screw too. And the expanding tube it goes into.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks for the info. After reading your posts I went ahead and buttoned up the area and took the car out for a spin. With only the new front bushing the car shifts more postive although, the H pattern is not the best. I was trying to think of any other adjustment or the like.....it seems as though I use to push down to go into reverse.....now that isn't needed......something must not yet be correct. Iam thinking of that plate just prior to the spring under the shifter......the plate is odd shaped... I think I will flip that plate around to see if theres a change....may have gotten it backwards. Any thoughts?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

...yes you should have to push down for reverse. The "ski jump" goes up and to the right.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Thank you Gary and Jan for your help on this. I'll take the shifter off this evening and find out which way the ski jump is positioned.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

It now shifts wonderfully! I'll have to remember that....ski jump up and to the right.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

...good to hear....where shal I send the bill??

=-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian