Should air cooled VWs be banned from the Freeways?

I believe Air-Cooled VeeDubs need to be banned from freeways or any place where the speed limit is 65 mph and above for that matter. These cars don't belong on limited access highways. As logic dictates their engines are too inadequate for high speed use plus they aren't safe when drivin fast because of the drum brakes and now that they are all old they have warn out steering, suspension and brake components. Should congress pass a law that would ban these car from being drivin on our Freeways?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

Forgot to take your medication today didn't you?

My 64 beetle will cruise 65mph all day long and is much safer then alot of cars on the road.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

The VW came from the land of the Autobahn --- virtually no speed limits there --- so how long will your Pinto do 75 mph?

Reply to
Wolfgang

I wonder what the troll du jour drives?

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Swenson

My aircooled VW is faster (acceleration and top speed), more stable and stops better than oh, about 70% of cars out there on the 65MPH highways. (Florida). Where would you draw the line?

There are far more non-VW cars out there that fit your description, absolute time bombs and hazardous as all hell, that are much more dangerous. Aircooled VW's are getting fewer and fewer, the "problem" thereby becoming less and less significant.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
Anthony W

Since everyone is feeding the troll, I'll put in my opinion. If the speed limit is 70, it is to be the LIMIT, not the mininum speed which will also be posted. Any where in between these posted limits is the legal range of vehicle operation. What an idiot.

Reply to
Dennis

Didn't pass your truck-drivers exam, eh? Loser.

Reply to
john

As logic would also dictate, my fuel bill would automatically be credited for the highway tax when I buy gas for my VW. Even though my bug can easily go 65+, I'd stay off the freeway if I didn't have to pay the highway tax. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Reply to
Manlius.Radio

Yeah, why is anyone responding to this thread at all? Oh, guess i'm including myself now.

Nothing to see here, move along..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Hello Matt :-P

Reply to
Howard Rose

VW's should be free to roam as they please. However, the roads would be safer if the TURDS like this knucklehead wouldnt drive their monster SUV's

20-30 or more miles an hour over the speed limit!

Go troll somewhere else.

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

1966 Type I
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw

Reply to
dragenwagen

honestly.... IDIOTS should be banned from the freeways and any other roads. Instead of toll booths, maybe an IQ test booth.... hmm... the lines would soon ease up when 99% of the population realizes they won't be allowed on the road... fewer accidents, less need for damn construction, less need for taxes... there, problem solved. Ride the damn bus, morons. Those who have not seen Florida traffic, may not fully understand.... LOL

Jan

Reply to
Jan

a pinto with the 2.0(german) engine is a very reliable and capable car... the late 2.3 is also reliable and capable... 75mph is really no strain on a pinto...well...except for strain on the eyes of thosed forced to see you driving it...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

And you should see how fast the sucker goes when hit in the rear!!

Sneaks '68 T1 Volksrod in progress

Reply to
Swenson

Incorrect. Deduct one point for not understanding the distribution of IQ. By definition 50% of the population is below average IQ.

Idiots would be less than 30% of the population and too incompetent to even start a car.

Let's call it a language difficulty, Jan. :) Perhaps in your native language "idiot" is still closely coupled with the original Ancient Greek definition. In that case we don't need an IQ test; we need a friggin revolution.

:) Said in good spirits.

Reply to
john

The Pinto understeered badly. On a bumpy road the back end would try to pass the front end. Can you tell I had one? In the last days of owning one, I had flames painted on it. On the back. Going up!

But it had a good little engine!

Reply to
john

LOL, thanks for clearing that up, dad ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

true...the rearend housing punching a hole in the gastank in a rearend collission is pretty bad... i prefer our vw's that don't need to go through all the trouble of having a collission to light up like a torch!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

they handle excellent on an oval track, and the fuel cell puts any chance of the factory tank being penetrated out of the equation!! make great mini-stock racers...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani