smelly oil

Today i drained the oil from my engine. It had an awfull gas smell. Is this due to the fuelpump (possibly) leaking into the engine or are there other problems to look for? Had to change the stock fuelpump with a crappy brazilian one last spring because the rubber was torn. Could there still be gas in the oil from april

2005? Ran the engine last week for a few minutes after i stored the car in october. Any pointers? I don't want to contaminate new oil so i can drain it again... Or isn't it all too bad at all?

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Now you don't know if you can drive the beetle on your wedding! The only thing that I remember that can leak gas to the oil is the fuel pump.=20 Keep you eyes on a second car just in case.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

surely you changed the oil after replacing a defective fuel pump?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Joey Tribiani" schreef in bericht news:xEcGf.79113$QW2.64730@dukeread08...

uhm, sorry but no. I didn't. I was too exited that i found the problem back then. It's empty now but will fill it this week with 15W40.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

gasoline dilutes oil...doesn't take much gasoline to dilute the oil to a point that it doesn't provide the protection the bearings need.....it is very hard on the bearings....rapid wear to the point of failure can happen...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Let's not hope that i'll learn it the hard way then.... I have e new engine ready to be build up, not in... yet. Have to rebuild/restore the dizzy and powdercoat the tinware and all. A nice job for the early summer days. That engine will be treated right. (as this engine should!!) Thanks for your input Chris.

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Do you live in an area where only ethanol gas is available during the winter months? If so, expect to replace a fuel pump at least once every three years. Besides hurting the performance of our trusty four bangers, ethanol in the gas eats gasket material at a very quick rate. Including the diaphram in the fuel pump.

The parts counter guy at the local ACVW shop tells me that they are selling fuel pumps at an unbelievably high rate. And more during the winter than the summer months. Which never happened before ethanol gas started to be pumped.

Reply to
Just an opinion