Factory alternator

73 Super Beetle has a facttory alternator, it has the one big red wire then has a 3 prong plug on top for eveyrthing else. Where do the 3 wires go? My new aftermarket alt in my other car only has 2 other wires, the gen light and also a ground to the body of the alt. thanks for your help.
Reply to
Cletus

US cars used a Motorola alternator with external regulator. The reg is under the back seat. This page of my web site has alternator info you are looking for:

Speedy Jim

for:

Thanks Jim, So do they still make that external regulator or should i just junk the whole setup and get a modern alternator? and which wire is which?

Reply to
Cletus

for:

Hard to find that reg. Maybe on:

All the wire info is on the link I gave you.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

All the engines I build for myself and most of the engines I built for customers use an internally regulated (NEW) alternator. The wiring is soooo simple... and new is new, no guesswork, no wondering if it will croak soon or last a year or two..:) Relatively small investment for a peace of mind.

Jan

Reply to
Jan