starter probs

Posted before, thought probs gone. If I hold the key for a sec or two the starter will enguage most times. Although it is getting more and more reluctant to work this way. Last fall I replaced the ignition switch, but seems to work the same. Then I think I charged the battery and it worked pretty well since then, although I dont drive it but a couple times a year. Had it out today as it "started" as I mentioned, but when we got home it wont start at all, battery charger or not. Better mention problem is with a 1973 type 2. If I short the starter with a screw driver it spins the starter real well but doesnt enguage the flywheel with that method. Do I have to have somone enguage the key while I check the voltage at the starter? Thanks in advance. Guess I could push start it to tinker around the

125th year quasentenial here in Iowa.
Reply to
Steve Lawman

Jumper the starter like this (Shift in Neutral!!):

If this works, you have too much voltage drop in the circuit from Ignition switch to starter solenoid. It's a looong way from front to back in a Bus and everything must be perfect for it to work.

When you get tired of replacing ignition switches, etc., put a booster relay in the circuit.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Steve Lawman

That worked well to jump it at that location, do you suppose I should just run a couple wires with a toggle switch? It hasnt been started all that many times since changing the switch, and as when I did change the switch I messed up some other things in the steering wheel assembly and don't really want to go there again.

Reply to
Steve Lawman

The booster relay Speedy Jim is talking about can be installed near the started and all it requires is ground from somewhere around there. It goes between the wire from the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

This article goes over how the starter is wired and the installation of the booster relay (bottom of page).

FYI - Some don't like the idea of using the relay to fix this problem. The "proper fix" is to run a new wire all the way from the ignition to the starter. IMHO, other manufactures like Ford have used starter relays, very similar to these, for decades with few problems. To me this is an acceptable solution to old wiring.

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

It might help if I actually included the link:

BTW - Here is a pic of one such booster kit:

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

You only need one wire from the solenoid spade terminal. You can even tap into that wire conveniently under the rear seat. Look for the Red wire spliced to a Red/Blk on the left side. Just jumper that point to battery (+) with a toggle switch/push button.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I like the Ford solenoid method. I've heard some people use a horn relay. Anyway you get a better connection to the starter is the goal. Good luck, believe you me , it is a common problem. these cars are getting old.

Reply to
A Veteran

blah...bullshit.... fix the starting system *then* add the relay to "improve" all you want...there's nothing "acceptable" about covering up problems...that's a hack fix...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Agreed... Fix the problem, not the symptoms. The VW system worked for decades without problems... without a relay.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

It's easier to add a relay than to replace the wiring harness.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Uh oh. I sense a religious war coming on.

Reply to
jj

I put the push button switch in line to be able to start the beast, thanks Speedy. I also like to not engineer problems in this fashion, but alas it is done this time. The red wire under the seat was spliced, so before I installed the push button switch I put a meter on the wire from the key switch while it was unspliced and the voltage remained at a little under 12 volts while in the start detent. Then if I went under the car and hooked it up to the starter and checked the voltage again it wouldn't get above 1 or 2 volts. Seemed odd to me. Thanks all.

Reply to
Steve Lawman

it's easier to fill rust holes with "bondo" than it is to repair it properly too....doesn't make it right...VW people are notorious for being tight assed hacks....i wonder why?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Now you have a problem with rust too? Man, you have some serious issues!

Reply to
Michael Cecil

the only issues i have is with bad advice and hack fixes...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani