Astra Indicator probs

Ok chaps (or ladies of course). A real easy one for you...

I had an issue on my Astra 1.6 (S Reg - 98) where the reverse lights were very intermittant - they would come on only occasionally - now they don't at all. So i replaced the fuse for the rear lights (as i can't see one for just the reverse lights) and still no joy. Possibly a faulty switch... dunno. It has an electrical fault anyway which the vauxhall garage could'nt find with their gizmos.. and they want me to take it back in for "investigation" - or should i say "very expensive labour cost". But it is not related to the fault i have been describing...

Anyway.... the wife then reports that the left front indicator is not working and the side and rear are going really fast. All others are ok.

Checked and replaced all the fuses (for both sides) but still it does the same. The other side is ok and flashes at normal speed and all lights work.

So... to recap - front left indicator not working at all (bulb looks ok - but not replaced yet) but side and rear flashing at double speed.

Any help would be excellent. I can fix computers - but i'm rubbish with cars!

Reply to
Taoski
1 Fast indicator USUALLY = blown bulb or Short Circuit in loom..... (Gamble on bulb) Intermittent reversing light = 80% to be reversing switch in gearbox / 20%= intermittent Open Circuit somewhere else.

Intermittent fault wont be caused by fuse...... Fuse = ON or OFF.

Main dealer diagnostic gear = £10,000 + ..... therefore £50.00 P/H to Joe Soap, take wages/updates e.t.c out of that and they still must sell a heck of a lot of hours to regain their initial outlay and still sometimes they cannot repair it... don't envy em at all.

JK

Reply to
JK

Most reversing light problems are caused by:-

1). Faulty reversing light switch which is mounted in the gearbox. It is cheap and easy to replace, and easy to diagnose. Pull the plug out of it, bridge across the terminals with a piece of insulated wire and then switch on the ignition. If your reversing lights then come on, the switch is faulty. 2). Blown fuse. The reversing light circuit is fed from, more often than not, the same fuse that protects the cigarette lighter. When a mobile phone charger is used in the car, they can short out the socket and blow the fuse. The fuse you are looking for is one that is marked 'KL.15' on the top of the cubby hole that covers the fuse box.

As for the indicator, sounds as if the bulb has gone. If the fuse had gone, you would have no indicators at all.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I don't know how different they are, but on my older 1.6 Astra an indicator problem was usually an open circuit bulb, or corrosion on the galvanised steel contacts.

A recent case of no reversing lights was traced to a broken lead just before the switch mounted on the front of the gearbox [in my model Astra very easy to see and get at].. however if this isn't the case presumably a simple way of testing whether if the switch itself is faulty would be to short the connectors.

Reply to
Orange

I had intermittent reversing light probs on a Rover 400 and found it was the switch. If I removed and replaced the switch it would work for a bit but then pack up again.

Once I replaced the switch (£7.50 inc vat) I didn't get any more probs. Of course it helped that I had the 1.4 model where the switch was on top of the gearbox and relatively accessible (not much room but at least I could see what I was doing!), whereas the 1.6 and 2.0 models have the switch underneath.

CD

Reply to
Chris Dyson

You guys are THE best! I did'nt expect such comprehensive advice.

Many thanks for all your advice. I am off to get a new bulb tomorrow - hope this is the one. As for the switch....... i think a mate i know might be able to fix it!

Thanks.

Reply to
Taoski

believe that should be an open circuit bulb or an open circuit in the loom. An open circuit changes the time constant of the circuit that causes a change in the flash rate.

Reply to
PQ