Steering Column "birdcage'

Anyone familiar with the birdcage thingy in 70 beetles? ( I know it's probably an energy absorbing deal. ) Mine broke when the wife took the Baja yesterday, so I have three questions:

  1. Can I just replace the birdcage, or do I have to do the whole column?
  2. Will the column from an early beetle fit/work?
  3. How do I get the durn thang out? Do I have to pull the beam or lift the body?
Reply to
Tin

Yes to replace this you need to replace the whole steering shaft.

Yes you can

There is the retaining bolt at the cuopler (located under gas tank) you have to remove the metal peice with the tabs just at the bottom of the Birdcage then you have the turn signal assembly theres a c clip under the steering wheel (held on by 27mm nut)

Because the ignition and turn signal does not simply unplug you can drop the steering tube with the 13mm or 6 mm allen.

Don't forget the horn wire that runs up the center of the steering shaft.

Hope this helps

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys