Couple questions about a 74 super

I know that my car was originally purchased from Demas Volkswagen in Scottsdale, AZ. When I took possession of it many years ago it had a DVDA distributor on it. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct distributor for my car? The bentley does not specify, and I've seen lots of pictures in the bentley of an SVDA.

In addition, I installed a brand new 34pict-3 tonight. It started up immediately but was running EXTREMELY rich. I finally got the idle dialed in, it sits at 900rpm without any trouble and takes off and returns to idle fine(a nice change of pace from the old klunker carb I had on there).

If I take off and hit maybe 1/4 throttle, it's fine. If I stand on it, say at 2000 rpm in 2nd, it feels like it is loading up for a few seconds and then it seems to recover. I think I may have hooked up a vacuum line wrong. Since I have the DVDA distributor, I have set the timing at 5 deg ATDC, the front of the advance canister is hooked to the port on the right side of the carburetor, and the retard connection on the back of the canister is hooked to a fairly large port on the front of the carburetor. Assuming I have the right distributor, is this the correct way to hook up the vaccum lines? Bentley doesn't have any diagrams of this stuff. Go figure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

That's a really complicated question because there were so many variables due to emission requirements. And AZ is near Calif; it could have been a Calif-equipped car. (?)

Anyway, 49 states cars used a single vacuum distrib:

043 905 205 timed at 7.5 deg BEFORE TDC.

All cars had an EGR valve, which required an additional Vac port on the carb and a special manifold with the EGR valve bolted onto it. Bentley Fig. 7-4. You might have mistaken the EGR vac port for the Retard vac port. (?)

On earlier cars which DID have the dual vac distrib, the hoses to the carb looked like:

crude view is looking at the left side of the carb.This carb does not have EGR port. You can find all the distrib specs here:
Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim