Steering Wheel on 'last Beetle'

In one of the pics in VWT, there's a modern looking steering wheel which I might want to put in my 77 Bug. Is the steering wheel from a WC model? Where can I get one? Is it a straight swap with my existing steering wheel?

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (being assembled)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

Ben Boyle

I think you're right, my mom's '86 has a similar looking wheel. Not sure if the splines are the same though. If they are you can get a lot more attractive wheels, like the early Scirocco 3-spoke or one from a Corrado

nate

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

beetlemex sells those modern factory wheels which should fit older beetles.

I too considered buying one since my car is a daily driver, but the price ($180 or so, I think) was not "cost effective" - I bought the car for $1900.

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Hi Mel,

I had this idea too. My 77 wheel was kind of beat up and I was looking for something to replace it with. Btlmex.com sells this wheel but it's expensive. I got one on ebay for a reasonable price. I think it's from the Fox. The wheel fits the spline but your wiper lever will not clear this wheel. The mexican bugs had a different wiper lever. You can get the mexican wiper level from btlmex.com. I subsequently found another original wheel in good shape. so if you want this Fox wheel email me.

Ted 77std Sacramento

Reply to
Ted