sticky brakes - KG 71

I bought 2 new callipers (brazillian) and disks - pads were almost new. Have replaced the master ans slave brake cylinders but not the shoes - almost new.

One of the callipers doesn't cmpletely release while the other side works perfectly.

Why would this be so

Reply to
Gavin Scott and Denise Allard

Clogged brake hose. If they are original (likely), they are over a qtr-century old.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:24:40 GMT, "Gavin Scott and Denise Allardice" ran around screaming and yelling:

most likely is the rubber hose going to that particular caliper...they tend to separate inside and act as a "checkvalve" of sorts...the pressure when you apply the brakes can push it open and the brake works, but there isn't enough pressure from the caliper to force the fluid back through the defective hose after you release the brake...if there are *any* signs of dryrot or cracks they need to be replaced...the excess heat from a brake dragging can lead to premature failure of the new caliper and excess wear to the pads... good luck Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:24:40 GMT, "Gavin Scott and Denise Allardice" scribbled this interesting note:

Jim and Joey are correct. I've had similar problems in various vehicles (Beetles being one and old Chevy trucks another) and by simply replacing eh flexible brake lines there was always a major improvement. Besides, they are inexpensive and easy to remove and reinstall.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Hiya Gavin,

You got some good advice.

Here's another tidbit........your braking system is arguably the single most important system aboard your KG. Whenever you have to replace a part of that system, be ready, willing, and able to replace ALL parts in that system.

Inspect every single component in the system. If you even have a the slightest second thought about any of the braking system parts - replace them.

Always replace "companion" parts in pairs or sets. For example, you are facing the job of replacing the flexible (rubber) brake hose to your "sticky" caliper. Replace ALL four of them.

As my very first boss in the automotive business once said to me,"It's one thing to get a car going; and an entirely different thing to get it stopped."

Reply to
Bookwus1