street baja>>KYB GR-2 or KYB Gas-A Just??

Almost through aggravating everyone. There's a $10 difference in price. Or should I get coil overs? I KNOW Bilsteins are better, but...these are for an IRS rear '71 Super...thanks...

Reply to
pmbedard

Nor-Cal VW's

That's the combo I have in my '73 Super. Personally, I think the GR-2s in the front are a hair too stiff, but with some dead weight up front, she rides great and doesn't have the motorboat behavior on the highway with side winds. IMO, of course.

Once I get the new motor, I'll be experimenting with different amounts of sandbags, then mount permanent lead bars just forward of the spare tub.

150 lbs might do it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

... or you could try some stock-spec Boges up front. I've found that these give a less jarring ride and plenty of damping.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

No. I'm out to fix the light front anyways and avoid the motorboating behavior. With the front all filled with groceries, she rides nice and doesn't sway in the breeze, so that's my watermark with the bonnet empty.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I've got Gas-a-Justs all the way around on my Std Baja. I have pretty heavy tires all the way round so I actually like the gas ones better in the front. I am not happy with them in the rear though. My suspension pretty much maxes the rears out so I think that has alot to do with it. I've raised the shock mounts on a new set of arms I am beefing up for the car now so I think that will help but I'm still planning on a set of the new Bilstiens (5150's) as soon as I can get my hands on some extra $$. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Are you using the bug Gas a justs or the BUS ones? If not, use the ones for the bus, they are longer.

Reply to
Zarana-X

stock size Beetle. If I'm not mistaken, the Bus units are too long for a stock mount application. They are notmally used if you mount to a cage, which I cannot because my cage is only a 4 point. I had spoken with KYB years ago and got the part #'s for a slightly longer shock (can't go too long because then you loose the upward travel) but I have no idea where I put that scrap of paper with the numbers. I do know that a shock that fits an early 80's dodge caravan rear is a good choice if you stick with standard shock mounts and notch the plates for more travel. Rancho lists that size but I here conflicting reports as to the quality of their shocks. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro