stripped oil strainer stud

On my 36 hp, stripped a stud on my oil strainer only to find out it was a 8mm x 6mm step stud. Looking at the 8mm timesaver insert, just doesn't seem to leave enough material between the edge of the insert and the lip of the oil strainer lip. I'd rather NOT use the timesaver fearing that it could mess up my case (just leave it too weak due to the lack of material). Anybody run into this problem and offer a decent/reasonable solution beyond using a longer step stud with a lock washer? Thanks. - Darren

Reply to
darrenboas

so the 8mm section is stripped out? Try some of the epoxy stuff to resecure the 8mm section. Liquid Metal, JB Weld, even Locktite has something that might work to secure that stud. I would also suggest you install one of the oil plates with the drain plug in the center so that you rarely have to take the plate off.

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Yep, it's 8mm & stripped

Reply to
none

Since I couldn't oversize the 8mm stud to re-use the 8mm x 6mm step stud, I tried to insert a 6mm timesert in the stud hole. It worked. Back on the road.

Reply to
none

Great! thanks for telling us the solution too!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

When that happened on the old 1300 engine in my 66 Baja, I used a 6mm Helicoil. Worked great and I happened to have the stuff on hand so it was even better.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W